gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

saving seeds?

Would someone PLEASE post up a "how to" on saving tomato seeds. From wrapping to storing. A video would be great as well. It would be great to make it a sticky since I know I won't be the only one with this question. And it is very important one.

While I'm at it I have a bunch of tomatoes coming in though I haven't seen any honey bees to speak of yet. I have seen the errant bumblebee and other insects around. Would you suggest against saving any of the seed on the tomatoes I have now. Or should I wrap them and save from them. I guess I should add that I did not wrap up any of these flower stalks yet.

Thanks

Dono :D

johnny123

Sent you a PM.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

That was easy..no video though, only pictures

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28675

Although I bag blossoms I don't have 100% success so I also save seeds from the first fruits/truss off of the plants because around here the bees are not keyed onto the tomato plants yet and cross pollination rate is very low. However, Carlolyn Male says that her bee activity is much higher at the beginning of the season, which is odd because I have plenty of bees on wildflowers long before the tomatoes get going.

Don't look for big bees, watch for the fast little black and green things slightly smaller than a housefly.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

johnny123 wrote:Sent you a PM.
Yeah thanks for the attitude. :roll:

Most people on here don't mind helping someone that is why I asked, in fact I knew TZ ore one of the other tomato gods would respond. It would also be nice to have a sticky on this for others.

By the way I know how to Google but again some of us get pleasure out of helping others. :mrgreen:
Last edited by gixxerific on Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks TZ I thought I had saw this before but couldn't find it. Now that should be made a sticky. :wink: :D

johnny123

Well it seems you are jumping to conclusions that are not true.
I suggested Google because myself or someone else would have to type for awhile to go through the whole process especially fementing for long term storage.
I never said you don't know how to use Google.

johnny123

Here is a video.
See, I'm helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3eS5IyoBX4

johnny123

Don't worry folks gixxerific and I are on the same page.
Just a little misunderstanding.

soil
Greener Thumb

get baggie, put your tomatoes in it, smash them good, let it ferment for a few days, wash out in a strainer, dry seeds and store for next year. simple as that.

johnny123

In so many words that will do it or should I say in not so many words.

pizzarrhea
Cool Member

Usually what I do is: ( and I'm sorry if this was covered in the thread that was linked in an earlier post )
Squeeze tomato pulp into a bowl, fill the bowl with water, and leave it by the window for a few days until mold starts to form, then I pour the seed guts/water through a strainer, then I place the seeds on a paper plate for a day or two until they are dry and put 'em in baggies, then put 'em in the fridge!
and all my tomatoes this season were from seed that I saved using that method :P

johnny123

That will work.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Gixx, there's this sticky over in Seed Swapping. :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Kisal wrote:Gixx, there's this sticky over in Seed Swapping. :)

I looked all over even in the seed saving section but that is one place I did not look. :oops: I thought there was something out there. :lol:

Stella Blue

Hmm. Seems like there's lots of ways to do this. Last fall, before reading any threads on this topic, I just took the seeds out of a few tomatoes that I was eating, sucked the pulp off of them, and let them dry on a paper towel for a few days. Then I put them in an envelop, and stored them in the basement for the winter. Low and behold, they germinated this spring, and are doing well.

I don't know all the fancy stuff, so I just "KISS". Keep It Simple Stupid

johnny123

That is very true.
If you just want to save seeds to plant the next season just washing and drying works fine.
If you want to save seeds for 2 to 3 years they should be fermented.

jstrausss

Stella Blue wrote:Hmm. Seems like there's lots of ways to do this. Last fall, before reading any threads on this topic, I just took the seeds out of a few tomatoes that I was eating, sucked the pulp off of them, and let them dry on a paper towel for a few days. Then I put them in an envelop, and stored them in the basement for the winter. Low and behold, they germinated this spring, and are doing well.
LOL thats funny. that is what I did last year in preparing for this season and after reading all these other ways, with multiple steps, I was going to post my simple way but was very glad to see someone else doing it the same simple way as I did.

johnny123

Look up.
We understand there is a simple way for short term storage.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”