jstrausss

Cherry Tomato & Beefsteak tomato plants

I have both in my garden now and wanted to ask if it is normal for the Cherry tomatos to grow slower then the Beefsteak tomatos?

johnny123

Mine grow about the same and 70-80 days for both.
Let me go look at my plants- I'll be back.

I'm back, Both are the same.
Both were seeded at the same time.

Super Beefsteak and Super Sweet 100's are exactly the same hight.

johnny123

It may just be how the roots developed between the two plants.

jstrausss

johnny123 wrote:It may just be how the roots developed between the two plants.
Sounds like its not normal for one to be growing faster then the other. Maybe I should give them some fertilizer??? Not really sure what kind to use on these tomatos. I'm still very new to gardening

jmoore

My cherry tomato plant is about 1/3 the size of the beefsteak next to it. Both planted at the same time and the plants were the same size. Both plants have tom's on them. I have no idea what's going on or why one is not as big as the other. The cherry is scrawny and kind of leggy. Maybe the beefsteak is blocking the sun.

johnny123

jstrausss, I sent you a private message.

gardenbean

I always understood the way a tomato plant looks and how it grows is based on the type that you have. For example my Brandywine and Snow White by far are much taller and bulkier than say my Cherkoee Purple or Mr. Stripy.

As for flowering (so far this season) by far it's my Summer Salsa that hasn't the most fruit on the vine but I suppose this will change as the summer goes on.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

My cherry tomatoes are always taller than the beefsteaks both in the early and late season. Last year, the cherry types were 10-12 feet tall. Beefsteaks were around 6-7 feet.

My cherry tomatoes are already 5 feet tall.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Looking out there now my cherry's are smaller than my "other tomatoes". That being said normally the cherry's will catch up and way surpass the others.

But again that being said like gardenvt mentioned it's all about variety not so much type.

It also has to do with soil etc. I had 3 Isis Candy cherry's last year they all did differently they were all separated from each other some in different gardens. They all tasted different as well. I really only liked the one of the plants fruit. They all had different colors to them as well.

Too many factors to say this will do better than that in general.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”