gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

ANyoine ever grow OSU Blue sometimes called "P20"

I have done a short search and come up with not a lot.

I have seen it called an indeterminate as well as a determinate. I am also wondering on what size these get up to. If they start out blue or turn blue when ripe.

I sent a note to the person I got the seeds from but was wondering if you all have any ideas.

I have a couple plants going and they came up first. Which I hear is somewhat normal, that is them being early risers. The first cluster seemed to be Blue from the beginning. They have been growing for several weeks but never got bigger than a a ping pong. I was wondering if they grew and matured very quickly due to the weird weather we are having. I am not really sure what to expect.

Any experiences would be great .

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

The OSU blue that I grew was not a stable line.
It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, that p20 actually has purple leaves, wouldn't that be pretty? OSU seems to have a blue cast to the stems, but leaves were normal.
It was definitely indeterminate, outgrew every contraption I could rig. It even broke and kept growing past the break and producing.
I had limited seeds. Out of 3 plants, I got 2 that were cherry tomatoes, and 1 regular sized. I noticed the regular size was kind of bland tasting, but the cherry sized ones were my favorites, all the way around.
They grow green, and turn red just like any tomato. The blue seems to be a suntan. If you remove several leaves and it gets alot of sun, it will turn almost black, has nothing whatsoever to do with ripeness.
I would suggest, that you keep seeds separately, I did. And in this way, I could stabilize both lines, sooner or later.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Ol.

Yes mine definitely have blue stems and green leaves. I have a ton of toms and yet to see any red. Only green and blue on the toms.

This should be interesting. I will definitely save seeds. So those interested keep me in mind.

Maybe I shouldn't have pulled the first tom since I thought it was ripe this evening. :oops: I will go by feel like we talked about. Oh well that sacrificed tom will give the others more energy. Yeah that's it. :wink: :lol:

pizzarrhea
Cool Member

I'm very intererested :D
Let me know how they turn out,

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

OSU Blue 'escaped' from a research facility, which is why it is unstable. Someone was given some seeds with the unspoken wish that he/she not trade them, and so by the next year lots of people had them :lol: . Since that time several breeders have been working on blue fruit and blue foliage genes from that source.

Tom Wagner released quite a few patially stabilized blue cherry's this year through his website. Its easier to stablize the small fruit forms.

New World Seeds & Tubers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alki Blue: Listed Feb 18th, 2011 Salad size blue tomato with red flesh. What I like about this one grown near Alki Beach across from Seattle is that the blue stems and leaves are striking. I am holding onto this one except for one package of seed to perfect it myself. SOLD OUT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Angel: Listed Feb 18th, 2011 This blue cherry keeps well. Indeterminate vines have early fruit. Needs a bit of fine-tuning to intensify the blue colors. SOLD OUT

Blue Streak: Very blue fruit on a semi-determinate vine. Red flesh. Fairly stable but looking for surprises. SOLD OUT

Clackamas Blueberry: In the morning shade of Mt. Hood comes this cherry sized blue cherry tomato. Mostly Oregonian in the pedigree but just enough Pimpinellifolium to make it berry nice. SOLD OUT
New World Seeds & Tubers

Clackamas Blueberry: In the morning shade of Mt. Hood comes this cherry sized blue cherry tomato. Mostly Oregonian in the pedigree but just enough Pimpinellifolium to make it berry nice. SOLD OUT

Farhrenheit Blues: This is destined to be one of my HOT blues ! In the hope to fine-tune this variety, I will be looking, along with my lucky customers, to locate seedlings with long truss blue cherry tomatoes. The hotter the temperature and the hotter the sun, the bluer the tomatoes. The hotter the temperatures—the sweeter the flavors. I don't have many seed but if you want to try this one it is five seed only. SOLD OUT

Sunshine Blue: Blue cheery tomato. This one is like the pick of the litter and pick of that litter. Need more info.
Blue cheery tomato. This one is like the pick of the litter and pick of that litter. Need more info. SOLD OUT

He's got another one called "Dancing with Smurfs"

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Exciting stuff TZ, who knows whet I will get form these but never you fear seeds will be saved.

So far they seem to be a small variety but the season has only really begun for me.

I can't wait, you can bet all the steamy details will be forthcoming. :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah I took a little one to work today and showed some people. My boss asked if it was a plum. He gardens/farms as well, when I told him it was a tomato he looked at me like I was crazy.

He knows I'm crazy but still. :lol:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”