Suburban Farmer

Tomato and Tomatillo

I am growing a Jubilee tomato plant and a green tomatillo variety in this container together. [img]https://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb388/rd3236/IMG00147.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb388/rd3236/IMG00146.jpg[/img]
How do you think they will affect each other? Are they suitable growing partners?

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

I believe that tomatillos are not self fertile and you'll need at least 2 plants to get fruit. Other than that I don't know of any reason tomatoes and tomatillos can't be grown together assuming they have plenty of water, nutrients and light to share.

sixshooter

Handsomeryan wrote:I believe that tomatillos are not self fertile and you'll need at least 2 plants to get fruit. Other than that I don't know of any reason tomatoes and tomatillos can't be grown together assuming they have plenty of water, nutrients and light to share.
Can someone verify this? I have two tomatillo plants but they are in different boxes at different corners of the garden.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I grew both together last year. Tomatillo seem to really produce and the plans were very large with 30 or more per plant. I had about 3 plants! Thy were really different with the husk around the fruit! Tie them up good or the branches will be all over the ground! Not sure if you need more than one plant!

sixshooter

Well now that I found out that I need 2 tomatillo plants...everyone seems to be sold out. I actually do have a 2nd plant in the garden ...but its one I started from seed and isn't even flowering yet (my only seedling that survived). Its also about 25 feet from my tomatillo plant that's thriving and flowering already. Is that too far away? Is trying to pollinate by touching the flowers of each plant with a paint brush something I should consider? Once the small one flowers that is.

pizzarrhea
Cool Member

I've never grown tomatillo, but I just plugged in "Can tomatoes and tomatillos grow together" in Google and got this:
https://www.ehow.com/facts_7180571_can-tomatillos-next-tomatoes-garden_.html

Hope that helps.

soil
Greener Thumb

tomatoes and tomatillos are good companions, we plant them together because the tomatillo roots repel gophers, or at least keep them from eating the tomatoes.

I know a lot of people I only gave one tomatillo plant to and they got lots of good fruit. try shaking the plant lightly each morning to encourage pollen drop.

sixshooter

soil wrote:tomatoes and tomatillos are good companions, we plant them together because the tomatillo roots repel gophers, or at least keep them from eating the tomatoes.

I know a lot of people I only gave one tomatillo plant to and they got lots of good fruit. try shaking the plant lightly each morning to encourage pollen drop.
That's encouraging! Thank you.

sixshooter

I have a huge plant covered with flowers ...but none have set fruit. All my tomatoes plants have. My 2nd tomatillo plant has gotten big enough and has begin flowering but its about 20 feet from my big plant so I'm guessing that's too far? Ill keep whaling and using a paint brush to try and manually pollinate. Any chance it takes longer for tomatillos to set fruit? (Than tomatoes)

carol_in_va

This is my first time growing tomatillos, so I'm no expert, but it did seem to take forever for them to set fruit. I had one lone little lantern for a couple of weeks, then all of a sudden they were everywhere! Now all four of my plants are giving plenty of fruit. I love tapping them on the side to see how heavy they're getting inside.

*sorry, don't know if lantern is a correct term for them~ that's just what I've been calling them!

soil
Greener Thumb

usually the first few fruits don't set. then all of a sudden youll have tons of tomatillos.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”