taradal
Cool Member

Possibly diseased tomato plants?

Three of my sixteen tomato plants are looking sickly. The others look great, but these three are not growing as quickly as the others-they look a bit stunted- and the new leaves that they are producing are curled under, (not up) and the edges quickly dry up and turn grey/brown. Should I pull them up? Hate doing that-I keep hoping that they’ll rally! Had a soil test done and I have an abundance of calcium and the Ph is 7.3 I use soaker hoses to water and I've mulched all plants with compost, (I garden without chemicals) What should I do? Thank you so much!

taradal
Cool Member

Well, just in case anyone is interested, I had a very informative talk with my local extension agent. After seeing photos of the plants and seeing my soil test results, he feels pretty sure that it is a lack of iron in the soil. I will be supplementing with chelated iron. The mistake I made was over-liming the soil, causing it to become too alkaline.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

That very interesting. The Extension Service is an excellent source of information. :)

I'm glad you posted about your experience, because it's a good example of why we encourage people to have their soil tested before adding any amendments. If the pH isn't correct, leaving the soil too acidic or too alkaline, then plants often will not be able to access nutrients. It seems that incorrect pH most often affect the plant's ability to absorb minerals, such as calcium, or in your case, iron.

I'm glad you discovered the source of the problem your tomatoes were having. [img]https://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/Kisal_photos/icon14.gif[/img]

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”