Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Easy way to water lots of tomato boxes not planted yet!

It was cold a month ago now it is intense heat! I have about 25 boxes of tomatoes that seem to need watering every 2 hours. The ones in the 6 packs are even worse than the ones still in the styrofoam boxes! The bigger they get the more water it seems to take with the heat and the plants needing water. Some of my boxes have 5 dozen tomatoes a foot high or larger. My chocolate cherry are really large with flowers!! I have been giving them away to everyone!
+++
So what do you do? I made a frame with 2 by 6's that is 6 ffet wide and 16 feet long. I put it right over the grass and places a piece of 4 mill plastice completely over it! I filled it with water to 3 inches deep and set all my plants in it! I simply maintain about 2 inches of water and the plants seem to be fine even in the sunny areas. I put half of the frame in a shady area that is shady in the afternoon! I have peppers and everything in there. It was in the 90's today! Has anyone else done this and have any tips?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I've never had tomato seedlings when the weather hits 90 degrees. They are either planted in the soil or given away by the time the hot weather arrives. I don't think tomato seedlings will do well long term in standing water. I imagine they are getting pretty tall and leggy. The best thing I can imagine is either plant them ASAP or give them away ASAP.

Ted

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

tedln wrote:I don't think tomato seedlings will do well long term in standing water. Ted
Oh, I have to agree with this 100%! The soggy soil at the bottom of the containers will inhibit root growth. The root system won't be able to support the top growth, and some of the top will die back. In addition, root rot may set in and destroy part or all of the already compromised root system, leading to death of the entire plant. Definitely not good. :(

wordwiz
Green Thumb

I built one similar a few weeks ago, except mine is about 32" wide; it will accommodate one 1020 flat long-ways and one short-ways. Using an old hydro water pump to fill it. My flats sit in it and wick up what water they need. This one is about 14' long, I plan on adding a couple of 12' ones for next year.

The game plan will also be to use a few similar ones (but with taller sides) for a hydro raft system for lettuce this fall & winter.

Mike

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I think its similar to hydroonics and will keep the plants for a few weeks. Its too hard to water them twice a day with that many boxes!

malkore
Cool Member

Don't leave them this way for 2 weeks or they will be dead.

Standing water is devoid of oxygen, will go stagnant in a day or two at most, and you'll have rotten roots and dead plants.

ALL hydroponic systems function by keeping the water moving and fresh, and most allow the roots to be exposed to air at times to prevent over water logging them.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

malkore wrote:Don't leave them this way for 2 weeks or they will be dead.
Uh, my plants have been like this for close to two months! The water evaporates, the horticubes stay wet, they get replenished with water the following day.

Keep in mind, they are in a GH, where the temps on a sunny day always reach triple digits.

Mike

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”