Tony02905

Tomato Plant Leaf Question

With all the rain and cold we've had, the first set of true leaves on on some of my tomato plants have yellowed and look like they are dying. My plants have been up potted and most of them have 3 to 4 sets of true leaves. More new growth is apparant so the plants themselves look good otherwise.

Can I just snip those yellowed leaves from the planta without harming them?

Rogue11

yes, you can take off those leaves. Most people, including myself will take off the first set of true leaves anyway when transplanting, and plant the tomato deep all the way up to where those leaves were.

gardenbean

I wish there was a video or something that would show how to properly trim up tomato plant. I always feel once I get start I tend to take off to much. Just saying.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The yellow bottom leaves are a sign that the plant needs fertilizer (or if they got sunburned/damaged early on). They won't recover and will drop of naturally, eventually. I usually soak the pot in fertilizer solution right before I put the plants in the ground and take off the lower leaves if they get in the way, but not if the plant is a little leggy and has enough stem to go in the hole.

Tony02905

Thanks for the advice..Used a weak solution of miracle grow two days ago. We have had three days of warm weather and good sun. This afternoon I came home from work and noticed that the tomatoes looking sad are much greener and have grown! Two plants I thought I had completely lost, (their leaves completely wilted and fell off- nothing but stems) are showing new leaves as well! Back to 100% success with all the maters I started form seed!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”