hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Effect of temperature on fruit set for tomatoes and peppers

"A tomato plant which experiences temperatures below 15.5° C (60° F) for extended periods of time will begin to flower profusely. These flowers may remain open on the plant for several weeks, without fruit being formed. Larger flowers and increased branching of clusters can show up as a result of low temperatures experienced by the plant weeks before flower buds are visible."

Also has a table showing optimum, upper and lower ranges.

[url]https://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/info_tomtemp.htm[/url]

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the link. That might explain why I get big branched trusses in the spring. I had 13 or 14 fruits on the first cluster of Indian Stripe two years ago. This spring was relatively warm while my seedlings were out so I wonder how things will turn out.

gardenbean

So that's why some of my Summer Salsa seedlings have begun to flower and I have one tomato(Yellow Cherry) that has actually frut growing. We have been having a wet damp spring this year and temps have bounced from the upper seventies to fifits within a day. Not the usual normal around here.............

So with this early flowering does it hurt the tomato in regards to producing fruit later in the season?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Interesting read. I have had ton's of flowers for a few weeks now with only a few set that I know of so far. I did notice a potted black cherry has several sets on it.

The article stated that cooler temps up to four weeks before flowering can result in misshapen or catfaced fruit. It has been weird around here. Though we go through hot than cool periods they don't last long it's been a real roller coaster. Yesterday it was 80 today it is just above 60. this weekend it will be upper 80's. That is how it goes here.

So I will be watching my fruit this year it was cooler at points when I put them in the ground.

soil
Greener Thumb

we have had similar weather but our tomatoes are just bursting with joy right now. both vertical growth, flowering, and fruit set. which is good because last year was bad for tomatoes around here.

early on though we had them under small hoop tunnels which may have helped.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

It's the lower 90's in my neck of the woods daily w/ heat index of upper 90's and my tomato plants are producing just fine. Very little blossom drop. They must be some kind of florida hybrid tomatoes.

imafan26
Mod

Florida has developed a few heat resistant tomatoes.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”