austingardner

is this really organic?

Hi,

I obviously want an all natural organic garden since I'll be eating the vegetables so I went to the nursery and they told me to spray on a product called neem oil. However upon getting the bottle home I peeled back the label and all sorts of warnings about how dangerous it was were listed which scared me and made me question just how organic this really is. Is anyone familiar with this neem oil? And can I really eat it? I'm worried to use it now and each day I delay I see less and less of my plants due to the all the pests. The exact product I purchased is called: Neem II by made by Green light. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

ps. if it is toxic, does anyone have any other suggestions about how to get ride of all my pests? Not even sure what I have besides catipilars but whatever it is, they seem to love my mint and basil

NooraK

If you do a search of the forum you'll find lots of threads on Neem Oil.

That being said, organic doesn't automatically mean 100% safe to consume. There are plenty of mushrooms that grow perfectly organically that could kill you if you ate them, for example.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Neem oil is organic and you can spray it on your maters today andeat them tomorrow, though I would try to remember to wash them first.

Mike

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The term 'organic' has been sold to us as a term that is somehow synonymous with 'good' or 'good for you'. Obviously that is not the case. IMO the general idea of organic provides a worthwhile framework for gardening. But the concept needs to be blended with a good dose of common sense. Everything that is natural is not necessarily 'good' and everything that is synthetic is not necessarily 'bad'.

When deciding on products to use in the garden IMO a person needs to make lots of judgements, some of which may lead in the direction of the garden not being truly organic or 100% organic. But for me, organic products such as pyrethrin based pesticides, neem oil, rotenone, etc are not appropriate for indiscriminate use, and while made with natural organic ingredients, are in no way 'natural'. Such chemicals, if used, should be used with the same degree of caution and skepticism that one would have for a petroleum based product.

For me the use of pesticides in no substitute for lower impact methods of control which include interplanting flowers and shrubs which attract beneficial insects and birds, inspecting and hand picking pests, learning to tolerate less than 'perfect' leaves and fruits, etc. I believe that a person who truly embraces the concept of 'organic' is embracing a way of life that transcends mere vegetable gardening activity. That person begins to see the interconnection of everything from the living soil, to diversified planting schemes of edibles and non edibles, to attracting a balanced array of both 'beneficial' and 'pest' insects such that the 'control' takes place in a much more natural way. In that setting of balance, soil, plants, insects coexist in such a way that one or two species don't tend to get totally out of balance and create what we would call an infestation. Also, in that setting, the gardener's interventions become less necessary, as we become primarily an observer, and only occasionally have to become involved with insect control.

gardenbean

hendi-so do you use compaion planting? I am attempting to do this and so far the results have been good. But it is still early in the season.......

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My entire yard is my planting palette. Yes, I use companion planting, referring to planting a mix of plants in a given planting block and seldom planting a monocrop in adjacent planting blocks. So plants are intermingled/mixed as much as can reasonably be done. I don't pay much attention to planting charts which suggest the exact plants that will complement one another. May pay more attention to that at some point in the future.

Also the interplanting takes place in the context of the overall yard. Beds are spread throughout several planting areas. Vegetable planting areas are separated by shrubs and flower beds. As posted above, the approach brings in a good mix of garden friendly predators, plus the scattering of plants with no large monocrop plantings of most plants IMO makes it more difficult for the bugs to move from plant to plant and cause a major infestation.

My yard is quite large, but most planting is done on a 3/4 to 1 acre section.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”