Tony02905

Getting worried... Losing Tomato Plants because of Weather

This has been the worst May in New England I can remember. I started my tomato seeds in late Feb early March. They were doing great until now. It had been cold and rainy for most of the month. I lost two tomato plants last week from all the rain and cold, now most of my tomato plants are yellowing and not looking healthy. I stand to lose about 150 tomato plants. How long can they put up with this weather? It worries me becuase it's been so cold, cloudy and rainy, but tomorrow its supposed to be 81 with sun. Will the sudden change in weather shock them even more?

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Are these seedlings or transplants? In the ground or containers?

I planted 80 tomatoes on April 29 and have not been able to till the ground since - three days in a row without significant rain has not happened. I've also had some very cool days and nights.

What I have done is when the top of the ground (maybe 2") is close to dry is to either hoe it or use a garden cultivator (one of those hand-held tools that has five tines) to break the dirt up. Add about a 1.5 teaspoons of Garden-tone/Blood meal mix and work it into the soil. So far, it has worked as good as I could have possibly hoped! I can see a huge difference in the color the next day.

Mike

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Tony,

Prolonged cold and rainy weather can indeed put a hurting on tomatoes. They may look little wilted with the sudden change in temperature (if they haven't seen a sun for a while, but with a little food may recover fine...

Good luck!

Regards,
D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”