Inailum
Cool Member

BROWN SPOTS ON TOMATO LEAVES

I have these brown spots on my tomato leaves. What are they from? They are mainly on the back side of the plant but I can't tell if it's new or old. I suspect it's from an insect but I'm not sure which one or what to do to get rid of it, in a good way. I don't want to put chemicals on my plants. My 'maters' went threw a bit of a rough patch for a while. They seem to be thriving now (their getting huge) BUT they have these darn spots.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

It looks like one of the fungal infections, like Septoria spot or early blight. They usually show up once the leves get a little age on them and depending on the conditions can get bad and ruin the plant. They like wet/humid conditions. Preventative measures include trimming lower leavesand non productive branches to increase airflow/drying at the base of the plant and within the plant. Also mulch the ground to prevent splashup of spores, and remove infected leaves.

Spraying with either a copper solution (organic but still poisonous) or Daconil (not organic) helps stop/prevent it.

Inailum
Cool Member

TZ -OH6 wrote:It looks like one of the fungal infections, like Septoria spot or early blight. They usually show up once the leves get a little age on them and depending on the conditions can get bad and ruin the plant. They like wet/humid conditions. Preventative measures include trimming lower leavesand non productive branches to increase airflow/drying at the base of the plant and within the plant. Also mulch the ground to prevent splashup of spores, and remove infected leaves.

Spraying with either a copper solution (organic but still poisonous) or Daconil (not organic) helps stop/prevent it.
Well I always mulch at the base & I also thought it looked like some sort of fungus. However, I took a leaf to my local nursery today and she said it was weather related (its been very up and down here) so that made me feel better. I'm just glad it wasn't from an insect, I don't want critters eatin away at my veggies :wink: Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. First time gardener here.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Keep a close eye on them, I was thinking Early Blight also.

Eric

Inailum
Cool Member

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Keep a close eye on them, I was thinking Early Blight also.

Eric
So will Early Blight take over the entire plant? I noticed that it's only on the back side of the plant.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

TZ, Pretty much covered it. Circulation, limbing up, keeping the leaves dry, mulching.

What is the weather like? Maybe the shady side is taking to long to dry off.

Eric

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The ony weather related non disease problems that I can think of off hand are sunburn, rain check, and blossom end rot, and the latter two only affect fruits. Wet weather (different fungi like different temperatures of wet weather) will promote germination of fungal spores on leaves, and yes, it can be directional on the plant if one side dries out faster than the other.

Insects are much better than fungi, IMO Insects generally get eaten by other insects so populations stay relatively low, The big ones that cause lots of damage can be picked off, or they can be easily and safely poisoned. Fungal leaf problems are hard to get rid of, about the best you can do is slow them down and hope the plant gets through the season without looking like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

Inailum
Cool Member

TZ -OH6 wrote:The ony weather related non disease problems that I can think of off hand are sunburn, rain check, and blossom end rot, and the latter two only affect fruits. Wet weather (different fungi like different temperatures of wet weather) will promote germination of fungal spores on leaves, and yes, it can be directional on the plant if one side dries out faster than the other.

Insects are much better than fungi, IMO Insects generally get eaten by other insects so populations stay relatively low, The big ones that cause lots of damage can be picked off, or they can be easily and safely poisoned. Fungal leaf problems are hard to get rid of, about the best you can do is slow them down and hope the plant gets through the season without looking like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.
Dang, that is sad for me to read because the more I go out there and inspect my plant the worse I think it is. I noticed before it was only on the back and this morning I noticed just how bad it was so now I'm thinking it IS Early Blight. I've been spraying Neem Oil on them every couple of weeks and I thought that would do the trick. Any suggestions on what else I could do?

Here's the front of my plant....
[img]https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/inailum/Garden/DSC03710.jpg[/img]

Now here is the back of my plant....
[img]https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/inailum/Garden/DSC03706.jpg[/img]

Inailum
Cool Member

Inailum wrote:
TZ -OH6 wrote:The ony weather related non disease problems that I can think of off hand are sunburn, rain check, and blossom end rot, and the latter two only affect fruits. Wet weather (different fungi like different temperatures of wet weather) will promote germination of fungal spores on leaves, and yes, it can be directional on the plant if one side dries out faster than the other.

I read on here that someone wanted a recipe for a milk solution, will that help?

amylong
Cool Member

I just came back from vacation and my dad has been mostly taking care of my tomato plants. They got bigger...though I expected bigger. But I saw some insect eating some lower leaves and the damage was not terrible and did not spread, thus I left it alone. But now, there are light brown spots on the bottom of the leaves on two of my plants. I tried searching on line to find a picture to relate to and couldn't thus..I turn to you guys. Is it fungus?? what can I do to get rid of it? Yesterday and today have been very humid. The last week, we recieved so much rain every day from thunderstorms. I appreciate all the advice and help. Thank you guys so much. I am so worried about them now:( I haven't fertilized them besides the usual tea bag on them....thank you thank you..they are my first time gardening...and I am trying to learn patience, and setbacks haha...and not panic..-.-;
here are some pictures, if they are not good enough, I will try to take more. these are in ten gallon smart pots..out door all the time..
https://imgur.com/ailnJNG
https://imgur.com/0MHJSlO
https://imgur.com/iclFaGU

imafan26
Mod

below is a link to Texas A&M university's tomato problem solver. It is a very good reference for growing tomatoes.

I does look like one of the fungal diseases that tomatoes are prone to, removing lower leaves, careful watering to prevent splashing and preventive anti fungal sprays in humid weather helps.
https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/vege ... em-solver/

amylong
Cool Member

Thanks for replying. Will it go away if I use antifungal medicine on it or is it stuck with my plants forever.. I wish my dad would listen when I tell him these things..one of them has four buds too..which antifungal is best?? I have read about baking soda milk and copper?? Would mulch help it?? Thanks.

amylong
Cool Member

this may sound like a stupid question..but can I use regular scissor to cut the disease leaves off? I will clean between cuts so I don't spread the fungus.. I sprayed them today with a mix of baking soda and vegetable mix...how much can I remove without killing the plant off?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't use copper, because I don't count it as organic. Milk solution or baking soda solution, but not both at once. But you can alternate them. The spraying needs to be done once a week or after it rains.

Sure you can use regular scissors, but you are right about cleaning them between cuts. Probably even if you took a quarter of the leaf surface off, it would still be OK, but I would try not to take any more than that.

amylong
Cool Member

I was thinking of cutting off all the lower branches...since they are the most affected..I hope I don't end up with a naked tomatoe plant:( is it ok to leave some of the mild affected ones on or will it respread? I was so worried about bugs bugs like aphids, ants, fungus gnats, that ugly ugly green catepillar and fungus gets them:( I will post before and after pictures..if I trimmed too much and my plant will die...let me know...if I lose the plant I will get a replacment from somewhere..its just...so disheartening I guess..since march and I finally see a few buds.. and they are sick with fungus.. thank you guys so much for the advice thank you thank you!!!! :) Is it possible for a plant to recover?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is possible with a lot of care, for the plant to recover. It is more likely that it will keep struggling along, producing new leaves and tomatoes, but with you still having to remove leaves as they get affected.

But you can still get a lot of tomatoes from it, if you keep taking care of it. Many seasons in my humid climate, by the end of the season my tomato plants look like tomato trees with a canopy of leaves on top and a big long bare stem. But they still grow tomatoes!

amylong
Cool Member

thanks rainbow. I will try to keep on top of it. now I wish they are bugs that I could get rid off...instead of fungus..-.-; I noticed that on top of the branches that I cut off, there are little branches coming out? I hope they come out to fill it back out. I am glad to hear that tomatoes still grow..hopefully I will see one soon:)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”