cityfarm
Newly Registered

Tomato pruning

Hello
Does anyone have a pruning routine other than pinching off the suckers that grow between main stems? I have read in the past of prunning some of the leaves off the ends of longer stems to train the plant to grow upwards rather than out.
I also read about garden shears that can infect the plant if they are dirty.
Reason being, I have a few small seedlings I may try to plant in an area where space is limited left and right , but plenty of room to go upwards.

Thanks

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The only way to train a tomato is to tie it to something or stick the growing tip behind wires (cage or trellis). Pruning depends on how you plan to support the plant and the prevalence of fungal pathogens in your area. All suckers are pruned off of staked plants because if you don't the plant is not manageable. In a cage, it helps prevent fungal infection of the leaves if you trim the leaves off the ground level beginning once the plant gets a bit of size to it. Caged can get packed full of unproductive branches so you may want to prune out on the interior to deep it open to airflo, and some people pinch off all the suckers below the first flower cluster.

Very few people sterilize clippers (or fingernails) between plants. It might help prevent disease spread but is impractical. I would do it if I was working on a virused plant, but that plant would be pulled out rather than pruned.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”