gardenbean

Normal for tomato seedlings to have flowers are them?

Some of my seedlings have begun to develop flowers are them and I am not quite sure what to do with them as I have not yet planted them into the garden and containers.

So my questions are-

1. When I got to plant them do I remove the flowers or not?

2. By developing those flowers so early does that slow the plant down in production of tomatos later in the season?

**I do remove all suckers and bottoms stems before planting and I always plant up to 4 inches on the plant so that they can develop a large and strong root system.

Thank you. :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Gardenbean,

What variety are they? I've noticed the determinate varieties are more in a hurry to set flowers. How large are the plants and what size container? Could they be root bound, stressed?

Eric

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

In general the plant will grow large enough to support the fruit by the time the fruits get large enough to stress the plant, so planting big-ish seedlings with flowers is usually not a problem. If after you put the plants in and the flowers are near ground level I would remove the flower truss to prevent fruit from developing on the gound so close to the stem.

gardenbean

Eric-Using a ruler my seedlings are almost 11 inches high and they were planted in 4 4 inch peat pot. The ones with flowers are Summer Salsa......
I would have planted now, however, we are getting hit with major rainstorms that keep on dumping rain. So hopefully maybe next week I can begin to get them in the garden once the weather calms down and dries up a bit.

TZ-thanks for that info about the flowers. I was concerned that they would put more stress on my seedlings.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

That's a pretty large plant for a 4" pot. Have you pulled a pot off and looked at the roots? If you can't plant them out, I would pot them up to at least a 6" pot.

Eric

gardenbean

You know Eric right after I replied to your post I went out and rechecked my plants again and yes I do have baby roots coming out of the bottoms and yes I know I got to get them planted, but I'm afraid the rain here has made me postpone those plans.
However, the weather cast today and for the next few days looks like things are beginning to clear up. So no more excuse for me.......... :lol:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”