Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Colored wire tomato cages galore this year!

What nice heavy tomato cages I saw today at the garden center. There must have been 4 differet types and they were made with coated thich wire in bright colors like green orange and yellow. They were not cheap like $7 to $18! The one I liked bes was shaped like the square tomato cage except it was half the cage since it was strong enough so it did not needed connected to form a box! I was really impressed with the cages but they were out of my price range!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

The colored cages are called Glamos tomato cages and come in three bright colors of coated heavy wire. the ones I like are about 4 feet high forming a half circle!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

4 feet is not really enough for most tomatoes.

Those fold out ones are good to use for peas and peppers etc if ran in a straight line.. Even though peas get a little tall for them they can run down the other side if needed.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Unlike a tomato stake which has to go into the ground a foot the 4 feet is from the ground up since it has a foot piece that goes into the ground! I think they make 5 footers too!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I've seen them. I've also seen the price on them. I've seen some in the five to six foot height. While I like the colors and wire dimension, I'm not interested in using them for garden decoration. If they would make them unpainted, but the same wire size for a cheaper price; I would probably use some. I wasn't sure if they are painted or powder coated. If they are painted, the paint will start peeling off quickly in the wet environment of a garden. If they are powder coated, the coating may chip a little, but last for a long time.

I do have some determinate varieties planted this year that simply will never grow tall enough to fully utilize the trellis they are growing on. They would probably perform better in one of the smaller cages you describe.

Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I don't know why they don't use the dark green the color of leaves so you can't see them or even a black! I do like the bright green ones and I think they are made like the coated fence that you have been able to buy for years! I think these new designd half cages are very nice but much to expensive. When you see people spend a $100 a clip on flowers but only grow maybe 4 tomato plants I can see this product selling! It looks to me that this tomato cage will last for a decade and the thin wire ones seem to last a short time!. I do like the triangle cages with the thin wire! if people pay $10 or more for a upside down tomato they will pay $10 for a good tomato 10 year cage!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”