sixshooter

watering in copper powder before planting?

I hate the idea of doing this but I'm considering it because I've had late blight the past couple years. Would this help combat splash up diseases at all or no?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Not a good idea. Copper coats the leaves and prevents germinating spores from infecting. All it will do in the soil is kill beneficial soil fungi. Prevent splashup by mulching. Late blight does not overwinter in/on soil (not a spalshup disease usually). It needs to overwinter in living plants like potato tubers. Spores get blown in from infected potato plants and nursery started tomatoes, which is why it tends to show up late in the season.

sixshooter

TZ -OH6 wrote:Not a good idea. Copper coats the leaves and prevents germinating spores from infecting. All it will do in the soil is kill beneficial soil fungi. Prevent splashup by mulching. Late blight does not overwinter in/on soil (not a spalshup disease usually). It needs to overwinter in living plants like potato tubers. Spores get blown in from infected potato plants and nursery started tomatoes, which is why it tends to show up late in the season.
Good advice thank you ill take it. I always buy started plants. Maybe that's my problem. Some day maybe ill have the time and dedication to start from seed.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”