gundogblue
Cool Member

Tomatoe Plants are in the ground

Well Friday I was able to get my tomatoe plants as well as my Peppers, string beans, and Egg Plant in the ground, today I planted my Potatoes, Corn, and Onions. I watered the plants I put in on Friday, and even though they're calling for rain every day this week I plan on watering them again this evening, but what I'm not sure about is what to feed my tomatoes, when I planted them I gave them a side dressing of compost manure, on the bag it says 0.05-0.05-0.05, is that all I will need or should I get some other fertalizer as well, I saw some at the store it's made by Bonnie, and is 8-4-4, and it says to feed at the roots twice a week. Or is there other stuff that is better? Also should I feed the tomatoes tonight when I water them or wait about a week to feed the new trans-plants? Any info will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Paul :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I would not feed tomatoes an 8-4-4 twice a week! The numbers are N-P-K and that means the fertilizer is high in nitrogen. A little nitrogen at the beginning is a good thing, which you already did with the composted manure. When you want the tomatoes to produce fruit, you don't want to be giving them lots of nitrogen, which encourages leafy growth at the expense of fruiting. Look for Tomato Tone, which is a natural product and is 3-4-6, a better balance for fruiting.

Your tomatoes probably don't need anything else right now, for a few weeks.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”