jasbo

What are the tan spots on my tomato leaves?

I've run a search in the tomato forum and am not finding an answer to this. My two-month old tomatoes, ready to go in the ground and in containers over the next couple of days, have suddenly developed spots on the leaves that are not quite white or brown, maybe tan or even a complete lack of color.

They've been out enjoying the 65-80 degree days lately and were going great guns. All were potted up about a month ago to 4-inch pots, and the plants are mostly about 6-7 inches tall and otherwise healthy looking. The potting soil I used had a little fertilizer in it, so I haven't added any more.

I saw a reference in my search to early blight. I don't know what that looks like. If it helps, the Early Girls and Sweet 100s seem particularly hard hit, the Beefsteaks less so and the Red Cherry seem almost immune. (One day I'll get my wife to show me how to post a pic. I'm sure that would help.) Any ideas? Thanks.

Jim

jasbo

Curiouser and curiouser. After prowling the Net for an hour, finding no photos that matched my problem, I took a couple of the plants to the "big city" a half hour away and the nice Master Gardener ladies at the Extension Office were as baffled as I was. Spend an hour looking through books and remaining stumped.

Jim

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Did you have them started under lights before? is it possible they've got a bit of sunburn, or some fertizlier got on the leaves and is burning the leaves?

jasbo

SPierce wrote:Did you have them started under lights before? is it possible they've got a bit of sunburn, or some fertizlier got on the leaves and is burning the leaves?
Actually, sunburn was one of the first guesses of one of the Master Gardeners, but they ruled it out because the same plant shows examples of blotchy, speckled and veiny damage. They've had no fertilizer except that which came in the potting soil.

Jim

SPierce
Greener Thumb

jasbo wrote:
SPierce wrote:Did you have them started under lights before? is it possible they've got a bit of sunburn, or some fertizlier got on the leaves and is burning the leaves?
Actually, sunburn was one of the first guesses of one of the Master Gardeners, but they ruled it out because the same plant shows examples of blotchy, speckled and veiny damage. They've had no fertilizer except that which came in the potting soil.

Jim
hmm,is it possible you could post a photo of it here? Are there slugs that are maybe getting onto their leaves? A mildew of some sort?

Re: the pic, sign up for a photobucket account or an image shack account, and upload the pic from your desktop into the image hosting sight. Run your mouse over the photo, and copy the tag that has the tags around it. Once that's copied, paste it into a reply field in the forum here, and, voila! photo posted :)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”