BrianIllinois
Cool Member

Rabbit damage to young plants

Rabbits damaged three new plants a couple days after I transplanted them to the garden. Didn't touch the ones that had been there longer.

On two of them, they ate about half the plant. On the other plant, all that's left is the stem.
Does the stem have even a chance? What about the other two?

Thanks for any knowledge anyone can provide!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

you didn't say what kind of plants or how young they are.

I had groundHOG eat my broccoli down to the stems and it is valiantly working on growing back. If I can keep the HOG away from it this time, it may be okay, but slowed down so much that it may not produce much because by the time it is getting ready to head up, it will be too hot for it.

BrianIllinois
Cool Member

Rainbow, they're tomato plants, different varieties.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The stem might actually have a chance, especially if there are a couple of side branches left. Even if only the main stem is there, though, you could give it a few weeks to see if it will sprout new leaves. Tomatoes sprout new leaves about as easily as they grow roots. They're very good at it. :)

If you plan to baby it along to see if it will grow new leaves, reduce the amount of water you give it. It won't be able to use as much water, with no leaf surfaces to transpire moisture into the air. If it's a plant you just planted in the garden a few days ago, you might want to dig it up and put it back into a container. That way, you can let it do its thing, while you put another plant in your garden, just in case the munched one doesn't survive.

If you're pressed for space and really want your tomatoes to get busy and produce fruit, or don't want to bother babying the damaged plant, you might prefer just to replace it. :)

SOB
Green Thumb

I didn't think rabbits liked tomato plants? Are you sure it's a rabbit eating the plant? You can easily tell because the bite will leave a stem looking like it was cut by shears on a 45 or so degree angle.

BrianIllinois
Cool Member

It's definitely rabbits, and get this: Another tomato plant has been hit. I witnessed one of the perpetrators this morning, and did a little crime-scene investigation. The forensics showed droppings at the scene, and the bite pattern is consistent with rabbit damage, perfect 45-degree angle.

I'm going on a little shopping trip today to pick up some certain items, 'cause I guess we're playing for keeps now. I guess the kidding around is pretty much over.

When I have been pushed... I think it's about time somebody teach these varmints a little lesson about morality and what it means to be a decent, upstanding member of a society.

You're varmints, scum, slime, menace to the gardening community. You're a disgrace and you're varmints. You're one of the lowest members of the food chain, and you'll probably be replaced by the rat.

Stay tuned...

applestar
Mod

I have picket fence around my back yard but the rabbits can get in under the gate, and they do. So all my garden areas have rabbit fence or chickenwire fence around them. It probably looks funny to watch me do this, but most of the time, I don't bother with gates although I made them, I just step over the 24`28"H fences -- GREAT leg lift exercise, especially weighted with heavy garden boots! :wink:

I have 7 fenced areas of varying sizes. :D

BrianIllinois
Cool Member

I have to laugh, because I've outsmarted even myself. My foe, my enemy, is an animal, and in order to conquer him, I have to think like an animal. I've gotta get inside this dude's pelt and crawl around for a few days.
Who is the rabbit's enemy, his foe? The sly fox. I'm going to use Mr. Fox to do my dirty work for me!

[img]https://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g338/brianillinois/IMG_5901.jpg[/img]

Bwahahahahaha!

splat42069

where do you get that fox spray? I'm sick of rabbits eating my plants.. every year I plant it happens.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have seen some rabbit damage myself Brian. Good luck. Even my "Rabbit" fence doesn't stop the baby's. I'd like to know if that fox urine works. Around here they say to use that or coyote since coyotes are more prevalent.

But I must say I have a pit bull and that didn't scare away the rabbits when they made dens in may yard 3 separate times (well 3 in the back yard, her territory , there were others), well until she found them that is. That is with a lot of doggy remains in the yard. :lol:

Laura44
Newly Registered

I registered to reply to the conversation about rabbits eating your plants. I have the same problem, but took an entirely different approach. I'm not out to harm the rabbits, just to co-exist. I feed the birds through the winter, but this year, I've been feeding them far past previous years. As a result, I have many more rabbits on my property. Yes, they've eaten a lot of my plants, and while I was upset at first, I've since done a lot of research and came up with a plan. It may work, it may not, but this is what my plan is. I'm going to plant a few areas of plants that rabbits love to eat, mostly herbs. Also, I'm going to replace my garden plants with those that they typically do not like to eat. (there are far more than most people may realize). Those plants that I really don't want to do without, such as my glads, I will put more effort into keeping those out of reach, probably by using chicken wire along with my usual fencing. I can hear the negative replies already, but I'm entitled to my opinion, and I prefer my property to be 'critter friendly'.

applestar
Mod

It made me chuckle to see a (new) member had posted defending rabbits while I was out tsk, tsk’ ing the dozen or so edamame that have been munched, and when I just had “a conversation” with the resident mama rabbit who somehow found her way INSIDE A FENCED GARDEN BED — a neglected, to be demolished/renovated one to be sure, but it is completely fenced around with 30”h rabbit wire fence topped with 24”h chicken wire fence. Yet, there she was. When I asked her through the fence how she got in, she tried to get out and away, but apparently she forgot in her moderate panic and couldn’t find the way out again. I told her I had no time to be helping her and she was on her own… and left. I actually don’t know if she is still there.

It’s my job to make sure they can’t get at what I don’t want them to eat. I fixed and secured the covers over the edamame better. When that other bed is rebuilt, there won’t be a way for her to get in.

*** NOTE — This is NOT a negative reply :()

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

I had to laugh too, when I read this. So, what are you going to plant that they won't want to eat???

I can tell you that some things they do like a lot better, like beans and kohlrabi - things that rabbits will wipe out, while leaving everything else there, but after that, they would start on the rest; lesser favorites, but they will still eat them. I'm sure they have found some favorites, in your plants. Either a well raised bed or a fenced in area they can't access are your only way to be sure they won't get your veggies, and other plants.

imafan26
Mod

I am glad I don't have to deal with the critters you have around. There aren't many wild rabbits here. No raccoons, deer, moles, voles, bobcats, cayotes, or foxes.

I only have to deal with seed and fruit eating birds and a feral rooster (thankfully he moved on). I don't have mongoose or wild pigs in my neighborhood but there are some within 3 miles of me.

runner1212
Cool Member

Have you attempted to dissuade them from eating up the goods?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”