gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Which size tomato to plant (Small, Med or Large)

I have about 40 or so plants. Some of them are 2 - 3 foot tall than some that are the same variety's that are 1 - 2 foot tall than another batch different variety's that are 6 - 8 inches or so.

What would you plant and why? Would it matter to you?

I planted some a few weekends ago and than some more last weekend. But with our 7 + inches of rain every week some are not doing so well and I expected that. I am going to replace a few that are definitely dead. Though the first batch I planted are doing well the second are not.

I am going to plant some this weekend and have all life stages just wondering which ones you would use. The really big ones I'm afraid may suffer since they are too big for their containers and are most definitely root-bound but maybe they will spring back.

Another thing I see the little ones are doing great since they are in somewhat appropriate sized containers.

I have also read about how tomatoes will send down a huge taproot if planted by seed and that you should plant the younger plant before the elder plant due to the fact that it is it's more aggressive rooting stage at an earlier age.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'd probably opt for the smaller of the bunch. By the time my plants were 3 ft. tall, they were budding and had small fruit forming. I'm thinking transplant shock may set all that back a bit.

Matter of fact, I had several volunteer tomato plants in my garden that I dug up as gently as I could and gave them to my next door neighbor whose dogs get into her garden and destroyed the tomato starts I gave her earlier this year. Some of the ones I gave her had small tomatoes on them and when I gave them to her I recommended she remove some of the lower branches and plant them deep in the ground to help new roots establish. I also suggested she remove the few tomatoes on the vine to help it establish the roots and not try to further develop fruit. Naturally, they did wilt a good bit but look like they are going to make it----------IF she manages to keep the dogs in check.

johnny123

Plant them all.
If some die so what.
If a disease doesn't kill them and a bug doesn't eat them there may be something left for you.
Zone 47 Sector C

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

johnny123 wrote:Plant them all.
If some die so what.
If I had the room I would. I do love your attitude though. :D That is kind of my way of planting. I have been way over stretching the envelope all year as I do every year. That is part of the reason I have so many. If one goes down it get's replaced. If they all go down I always have the nursery's for the extreme backup, god forbid I have to go that far. :lol:

johnny123

Well since room is the problem plant some of each height and see what happens.
That way next year you will know which plants did better.
If a disease doesn't kill them and a bug doesn't eat them there may be something left for you.
Zone 47 Sector C

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Dono,

Personally, I'd plant 1-2 footers, and bury them as deep as you can (removing most of the lower leafs). Save the smallest as a back up (in case you need them). 2 footers I usually set into containers...

Pics are needed :wink:

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Pics you say only for you my friend.

Here are the big 'uns believe it or not this area was full this morning I put a few in the ground and culled a few more, one more is outside waiting to be put in a big pot.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC05187.jpg[/img]

Here are my others. On the bottom in the middle are my crowded medium sized tom's on top are the baby's.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC05188.jpg[/img]

Here is what I have planted so far in the garden. The season really hasn' even begun and I am already wondering where I am going to put everything.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC05189.jpg[/img]

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”