ruggr10
Green Thumb

Tomato Beds Orientation?

So, what do you guys think?

I'm going to be planting 30+ tomato plants (cuz I'm NUTS!) and I'm building new raised beds. I thinking of growing them the single stem method so I could keep them a bit closer. Should I orient them north/south or east/west to get the best sun?

Would it make sense if I were to go east/west to do a single row, or do double rows north/south?

johnny123

Probably won't make too much difference as long as the beds see sun all day.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Yes, either single row east-west facing the southern angled sun (especially if you have shorter things to plant in front) or multiple rows North-South

Skian

This year I went East-West. Last year I was North-South and had some shadowing issues. We'll see how it goes.

johnny123

You'll probably get showdows on plants which ever way you go .
If the rows are one way you will get showdows on the other row and another way plants will put showdows on plants in the same row.

Myself I think you will find no difference unless you plant tall plants and short plants.
If all the plants are the same hight I don't think you will gain anything.

donworden
Cool Member

For what it's worth, for the past 5 years my toms have been pretty much planted north-south and very happy... might be just me... but when I do east west, they don't produce or grow well at all. But then, each of us have our own way...

johnny123

Yea, Stranger thigs have happened I guess.
We put in many rows and I guess what way you look at them is the direction they are planted.

Long rows east to west or alot more short rows north to south.
I guess it just it's just where your standing.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I plant mine using latitude and longitude coordinates that correlate with the sun's path divided by the circumference of the earth as in relation to the weight mass of Mars in it longest orbit.

Other than than that I just plant however it works best for the garden at that given point. :P :P

johnny123

You are making to much work with that method.
Just use a GPS.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”