209toots

Bonnie Herb & vegetable plant food? Any1 tried this stuf

I'm a new gardner this year. Tomatos are the majority. I have peppers and other samplings of other vegetables. I thought I would give them a treat by picking up this little pricey green jug. Is it just me or did I really notice a diffrence. I started from seedlings. As they became around 4" tall I spritzed them with a bath of this formula.The next morning I was so hppy to see the "lundge" (just a fraze I guess) they had made overnight. To me anyways. Was it my imagination or is this a good solution of just what vegetables need. Wondering if any one has tried this stuff and what they thought? Or what do you feed you veggies or do you really need to?
Last edited by 209toots on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I honestly haven't tried it- though I would say beware of applying too much of the stuff to your plants. I had bad experiences with bonnie plants, etc. last year and decided to start from seed this year instead. The best thing you can do for your plants, IMHO, is to give them a good soil/compost mix and lots of sunshine/light :)

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I haven't used it. It is probably okay, but in my opinion, most of the name brand products like "Bonnie" are about the same thing. Miracle Grow and many others make products for follier application. They all claim to have properly balanced nutrient and mineral content to either produce more plant growth, more blooms, and/or more fruit and larger fruit.

For the most part, I ignore their product hype and read the contents label. If the contents list is long, it usually is a balanced product. If it only lists nitrogen and a few other nutrients/minerals, it isn't worth much.

I tried Miracle Grow on part of my garden last year using their applicator attached to the garden hose. The product didn't harm my plants, but I couldn't tell if those plants performed any better than the plants that didn't receive the weekly application. The only complaint I had was the fact that their applicator is a piece of junk. I finally threw it away and used an old applicator I had. Miracle Grow packaged their dry product with the applicator last year. In my opinion, the applicator was a terrible waste of perfectly good plastic. I probably should have recycled the applicator and it could have become a "Topsy Turvey" planter this year.

Ted

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”