WildeHilde

Minimum temp for tomato seeds

I have just planted my tomato SEEDS today 4-23..in 6pack cells on my table in greenhouse. It is open ended and has long plastic draping over the ends by about a third of the way to the ground. Our temps are going to dip still to about 30 a few more times. I am covering them on the table at nite in addition to the greenhouse cover... it is nice during the day for a few days at a time then light rain. Am I going to be ok with a coolish start from seed now? Not used to So.Oregon timing at all yet. in Cave Junction OR
:oops: :lol:
"Ensnar'd in flowers, I fall in the grass."
Marvell

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Um, er, what is the temperature (at night under cover) where the tomato babies will be?
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

jasbo

WH, Tomato seeds will not sprout at that temperature. If you really want to start tomato seeds, you'll have to do it indoors in a place that's heated. Also, tomato plants will not survive long in the 30s.

I have a mess of tomato seedlings here in Rogue River, and the ones that have spent most of their time in the house under grow lights or outside only when it's fairly warm are doing great. The ones that have spent any time outdoors in the 30s are either dead or struggling.

It's too late to start tomatoes indoors IMO. You should just get some small plants at Chets or Fred Meyer (or somewhere in CJ) and plan to do the seed thing next year.

Jim

johnny123

I agree. Way to cold.
Tomatoes like 70 to 75 degree soil.
Get a seed starter kit and a heat mat to start and start them inside.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I have just planted my tomato SEEDS today 4-23..in 6pack cells on my table in greenhouse. It is open ended and has long plastic draping over the ends by about a third of the way to the ground. Our temps are going to dip still to about 30 a few more times. I am covering them on the table at night in addition to the greenhouse cover... it is nice during the day for a few days at a time then light rain. Am I going to be ok with a coolish start from seed now? Not used to So.Oregon timing at all yet. in Cave Junction OR
I'm trying to picture your setup. Is it a plastic tent that covers your 6 packs and table, but the plastic doesn't reach the floor?

I basically built a greenhouse inside a greenhouse. It's true name is a sweat chamber. Here's the post if interested. https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33290&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

You could probably do something on the cheap. Plywood box, heat lamp, thermometer and control vents, but a thermastat would be better.

Eric

WildeHilde

mini cold frame

Ok I am going to turn my table in there into a lil cold frame...mini hoop house with a crock pot in there for heat at nite and the few colder days. I had volunteer cherry tomato sprouting so it made me feel safe but..this weather pattern changes quickly..and cherry tom's will survive anything!
So the point being let's get these baby's going!!! Thanks.
I'll post a pic later today
Marvell

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

If it is possible for volunteer tomato plants to produce a crop in your location, you may have a good chance. You will have to check with your new neighbors, WildeHilde.

An advantage your plants could have over an outdoor volunteer is benefiting from TLC. However, I don't imagine that you can make up for cold temperature during the hours of darkness by bright, sunny days. It would probably be best to bring the starting containers, indoors.

I have found that the top of my fridge (not in the fridge but, on top) is a place that stays above 70°F, 24 hours each day. I start most everything up there. Gotta watch them carefully because when the sprout - they go searching for sunlight and stretch!

As soon as they are above the soil, off they go to a south window where they spend a few days before going out to the greenhouse.

If you baby them - they may produce a crop. Mostly, that will depend on the length of your growing season. If you won't have frost until mid-October, many early-maturing varieties should have time to ripen fruit.

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

WildeHilde

my humble beginings

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.2004366147015.2120322.1179455298&l=51c02ae896
a facebook link to pictures from 2 weeks ago[/img]
Marvell

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

. . . a good structure for "babying" them.

To get back to the original question: the[url=https://www.vegedge.umn.edu/mnvegnew/vol2/0400t1.htm]University of Minnesota says:[/url]

it takes 43 days for tomato seed to germinate at 50°F, 2 weeks at 59°, and only 8 days at 68°. At 41°, there was no germination.

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

WildeHilde

last nite

good test last nite really windy and rainy....temp went to 40 over night and is back up to 55 now..held at 70 during the day. feelin better about it now thanks everyone
As to weather the cherrys will fruit from volunteers I'll ask as suggested...kinda hope they will!
Really like this forum!!
Marvell

WildeHilde

https://www.chestnut-sw.com/seeds/vegseed/tomatoes.htm
found this too
Marvell

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”