Avonnow
Green Thumb

Trimming tomato plants

I have a bunch of tomato plants, different types all over the place, some in the ground, some in pots. I want on the indeterminate ones to stop them from growing - they are already outgrowing the supports. Is there any good way or better way to do this. :? I understand this helps the plant put more energy into the actual tomato's - is this true or myth. I appreciate the help, I didn't realize just how many were indeterminate, I apprecate the suggestions. :wink:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Pick two or three main stems and let them grow. Look at the off stems and if something is growing between them wai till they have their first set of flowers and cut a few inches above the set of flowers. This will stop the suckers growth and the sucker will give more strength to the main plant with its leaf growth. Also cut out putting too much nitrogen on the plants or they will get wilder! You should get quicker and bigger tomatoes this way!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There are seven Stickies at the top of the Tomato Forum. [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25230]Tomato Support Methods[/url], 5 pages, is the first, but the other six threads are also important, as they cover subjects like Blossom End Rot, Helping Tomato Plants Grow, etc.

There are MANY different methods of supporting your indeterminates, and you won't necessarily need to cut them down in ways so alien to their innate desire to grow Grow GROW! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Cynthia those are very good stickies and really go into detail on tomatoes! You all did a great job on those! Thanks!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”