newgardner

Few tomato leaves turning yellow?

How moist do I keep the soil for my tomato plant? It's in a very large pot so I can keep it off the ground. The top of the soil is dry and when I stick my finger all the way down into the soil, it's barley damp. A couple of the leaves are turning yellow...I thought yellow meant watering too much. I'm confused and don't want my poor tomato plant to die. :cry: Can anyone help? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Picture would help. Which leaves are turning yellow and how (all over, just on the margins, etc)? Any other symptoms (curling, spots, leggy, etc)? How old/ big is your plant?

If it is just the bottom leaves on a fairly large, well established plant, it is normal for the bottom leaves to die off after awhile, turn yellow and wither. It sounds, by your description, like you are watering ok, so it is probably something else.

newgardner

The rest of the plant looks okay. There are a couple of bottom leaves that are about 1/3 yellowish..almost looking like the leaf (leaves) are trying dry out....but still yellow. (Does that make any sense?) I planted it into a large pot about 2 weeks (or so) ago. I will try to get a picture and post. Thank you so much for your help. I'm so new to gardening...like a mom with a new baby! lol. Thanks@

Mr. G
Newly Registered

I had similar problem last year. I had 74 tomato plants in the garden and in a raised bed garden . I watered with city water and.... they did poorly . In the front of my home I place my heirlooms there in large plastic buckets and watered with well water. I had a good crop of tomatoes off of that attempt. Check your water source. Possibly might be the water quality ... maybe.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”