Tony02905

Seedlings got flooded.....

I posted over a week ago asking some questions about building a mini greenhouse. I didn't get any response, but went ahead and built one ths past week. I put my veggies that sprouted in it along with my seedlings. Even though we had one very cold night this week, everything was going great. The tomatoes were straight and bright green, other seelings began to sprout, then last night we had an intense rain and wind storm and some of my flats were flooded. We are still not sure how the rain got in, but we did have 50 mph winds so water finds a way.

I drained the flats and opened up the mini greenhouse to get air flowing. Will my veggies survive? Or will I have to start all over again?

Thanks..

Lunacy
Cool Member

I'm sorry you got no response to your first post, that's not like this place, most people here or more than willing to share what they know.

I think your seedlings will do fine, if they are still standing. I had the same thing happen to me this year and my seedlings didn't skip a beat!
Last edited by Lunacy on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony02905

Thanks Lunacy!! I'm keeping optomistic! This is the first year that I can really grow some serious crops, no containers this year!! I have been trying to do everything right and then good ol mother nature throws ya a curve ball!! LOL...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, it's always something. I agree that if you drained them promptly they should be fine...

Tony02905

The seedlings that got flooded came through fine! Started getting second set of leaves and last week, bam, they got flooded again!! I couldn't believe it, the tray was full of water and my poor tomato plants looked like somethig from the movie Titanic! I drained the tray and let the tomatoes bask in some sunshine. I ws lucky again, they all pulled through and it could be just my imagination, but they look better than ever.

Really getting tired of these monster downpours, but it's nothing compared to all those people affected by the recent tonados.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Tony,

I have often forgot to remove the last tray of plants from a watering tub and left them in for a day. Totally and completely soaked. It never did hurt them.

This year, I'm using horticubes and I practically keep them in water. They love it - think it is some kind of a hydro system!

Mike

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”