Rogue11

Cherry tomato varieties

I like Cherry Tomatoes, and I like them colorful and flavorful. Last year I started with 4 different kinds and this year I added a few more to the mix. I am looking for a couple more and was wondering what other fellow gardeners would suggest.
Here is what I am growing this year.
Chocolate Cherry,
Sungold (had those last year too)
Italian Ice
Black Pearl
Isis Candy (from seeds I saved last year)
Black Zebra
Red Lightning
Cherries Jubilee

Haven't a nice yellow one yet, because the Yellow Pear I tried last year weren't to my liking.

Also I was wondering where other people get there seeds. I order most of mine over the internet since locally I can't find much. Got all of my seeds last year and most of the tomato seeds this year from Burpee.

Thanks

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I like the sugar enhanced cherrytomatoes like sweet 100 and sweet million the best! The seeds are very small and you get more by the 100 milligram than by the 20 peleted. I like the Livington company the best. They even show the actual seed in some of their packs and seem to give more seeds per pack!

SOB
Green Thumb

I'm not a big tomato fan (I just love growing them :D ) but my wife and friends love the Sweet 1000 Cherry's that I have grown the last couple of years...

Rogue11

Thanks everyone. I think I'll give those sweet 100 a try, and I will check out those seed companies you suggested.

csvd87

give these guys a go too:

[url]https://www.tomatogrowers.com/[/url]

My plants from them look great, had excellent germination rates, except with cherokee purple, but I've read they can be difficult.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Nice link to see the varities thanks!. The sweet million seems to be a improved sweet 100 which I did not know! The sweet million seems to be a little larger also. The prices are a little high because 30 seeds are not as many as some companies that give 100 or even 80 mg which can be as many as 60 or more with the smaller seeds!

Rogue11

thanks csvd87, like your link. I actually ordered a few seeds last night while I was there, including the sweet 100 and some Isis candy

I only wish they had all seeds marked as either hybrids or heirlooms. I was looking for some hybrids for a friend who is just starting out.

Does anyone know if Mr. Stripey is a heirloom or hybrid?

Thank you Bobberman, I was wondering about the difference between the sweet 100 and the sweet million.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Both of those known as "Mr. Stripey" are heirlooms, Rogue. The one that Tomato Growers sells is also known as "Tigerella" and my understanding is that it was an open-pollinated greenhouse tomato in the UK. It is a bit seedy but a real nice tomato for me - early, flavorful, beautiful . . .

There is another "Mr. Stripey" that is a larger-sized slicer. I don't know much about that one and haven't attempted to grow it.

I gotta say that Sweet Million was the reason I stopped growing Sweet 100's for awhile, years ago. They were supposed to be an improvement but didn't perform as well in my garden. I went back to the Sweet 100's after I realized that I'd always been happy with them. Then "Super" Sweet 100's came out . . . it seems like it might be an improvement over the older version and I'm happy with it.
Steve

gardenbean

Super Sweet 100 is really good. As for seed catalogs, I use Johnny's Direct Seeds. A bit on the high side, but the quality of the seeds you get are super! And they have so many types of them. Also their customer service is great too!

Rogue11

Thanks digitS for the info on Mr. Stripey. The one I was looking at said English variety, so I suppose it would be the first one.

Thanks also for the input on the sweets. Now I wish I had waited. I'd probably have ordered super sweet 100 rather than sweet 100. But hey , nothing keeps me from growing both. :)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”