Tony02905

Tomato Seedling Advice

Typically here in the MA. / RI region I would start tomato seeds in late February, early March. Couldn't do that this year and just started them last week. They are sprouting vigorously. Due to personal circumstances I cannot use any shop/grow lights for the little guys. Since our days are warmer, high 50's low 60's I figured I could build a mini green house around them (wouldn't cost me anything) to give them the most sunlight, yet keep them warm and bring them in at night.

I used the Jiffy seed starting trays, the ones that use the large peat pellets that expand to about 4 inches in height.

Anyone try this before?

thanks!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Tony02905 wrote:Typically here in the MA. / RI region I would start tomato seeds in late February, early March. Couldn't do that this year and just started them last week. They are sprouting vigorously. Due to personal circumstances I cannot use any shop/grow lights for the little guys. Since our days are warmer, high 50's low 60's I figured I could build a mini green house around them (wouldn't cost me anything) to give them the most sunlight, yet keep them warm and bring them in at night.

I used the Jiffy seed starting trays, the ones that use the large peat pellets that expand to about 4 inches in height.

Anyone try this before?

thanks!
Our members who have used the jiffy sets have experienced difficulties with keeping the lids on after germination. The consensus is that, after the seeds germinate and you see green peeking through the growing medium, the lids should come off; otherwise, they become humidity retainers and make the seedlings very prone to the damping-off fungus.

Keeping the seedlings warm and bringing them in at night, esp. with the weather across the country being so erratic, sounds like a good plan. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What cynthia said! Also be prepared to up-pot into bigger plastic pots once your plants have a couple pair of true leaves.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”