Rinni
Newly Registered

Help with tomato seedlings

Help! All of the leaves on my tomato seedlings have turned white. I do not know what I am doing wrong. I have not given them any fertilizer yet and they stay under the grow light for 24 hours. Can someone please give me some hints on what I might be doing wrong. I hope I can remedy the situation before they all die.

This is what it looks like.

[img]https://www.blazinglumens.com/Gardening/IMG_1154.JPG[/img]

Thanks!

Randy

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

they may be getting too much light....I found mine grew best with only a few hours of light and daylight to keep them company (indoors of course) they did most of their growing when the light was off and at night

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But Wingless... you just wrote in that your tomato seedlings don't have any true leaves yet.

Rinni - If the plants had been outside, I would have thought maybe sunburn to explain the leaves etiolating (bleaching out). If the leaves are right up against your compact fluoro it could burn them like that. But looking at the picture they don't otherwise look like too much light. They are a bit spindly and leggy looking (long inter-nodal spaces and not a lot of branching). That looks like possibly not enough light.

You said no fertilizer yet. What are they growing in? If it is potting soil with fertilizer in it that should be ok. If it is sterile seed starting mix without nutrients, then that is a lot of their problem. They used up the little bit of nutrient that was in the seed a long time ago and they really need to be fed.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Rainbowgardner knows a bit better than me, as they've got more experience, but do you have any compost in the soil? How often are you watering them? It might be that they need a bit of food help :)
Last edited by SPierce on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

yes they do not have true leaves yet but with less light they did better starting out...ive moved mine to where they will get more light now to stimulate the new leaf growth....we'll see what happens for now lol

Rinni
Newly Registered

No they have not been outdoors yet. It is still too cold here to move them outdoors. For several weeks I left the light on 24 hours a day. I have just started to turn the light off at nights. So far no difference. All of the white leaves were so dried up that I ended up removing them. Now there are hardly any leaves left.

They are growing in seed starter soil with miracle grow in it. I have not added any additional fertilizer. I water them once every morning.

Randy

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”