anndev

Need help with my tomatoes.

This is my first year starting heirloom tomato plants from seed. I started them over a month ago. I am growing yellow brandywine, black russian and big rainbow's.

I started them in Jiffy seed starting mix and they took off... but shortly after, I put them under the lights and they seemed to stall. Some are just starting to grow thier second leaves (tiny ones) now (after one month) and thier cotelydons are turning yellow and shriveling up.

I potted them up and burried the stem this past weeked and used Miracle Grow organic potting mix, since it looked like they needed some nutrients. They just don't look happy. :(

Not sure what I am doing wrong. I water when the soil looks dry, and they are under the lights for 16-18 hours a day. Are heirlooms just slow starters?? I hope that since I potted up and burried the stem, they will start to come back quickly.

I'd appreciate any advise.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Give them some time and make sure you keep them moist not soaking wet. The cotelydons should shrivel up after they are not useful anymore.

If you just repotted them they should take off like mad, if not something is wrong but I really don't think you should have any problems.

My starters kinda stalled out as well but after potting them up twice they started running and haven't looked back. That is normal have some faith but also keep an eye on them. Let us know what happens.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”