gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes looking good!!

I decided to stake my tomatoes this year as opposed to the CRW(concrete reinforcing wire) cages since I wanted to companion plant between them and needed the room. The tomato plants are at least 4 ft. tall now and full of fruit with about 2 weeks to go before I can pick the first ones of the season-----------can't wait.

Between the tomato plants, I put in lots of onion starts and they are bulbing very nicely. I've been using some of the onion tops for seasoning and that has worked out great for this cook. I also planted some beets, radishes, and Purple Mizuna between the tomatoes. The beets are fantastic, and the mizuna and radishes are a very nice addition to the salad bowl. I find the mizuna has a unique taste, not quite as strong as arugula, more like some of the Mesculin mix I planted last fall.

Enough of this, time to get into the garden before it gets too warm.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good to hear I will be putting mine out soon as well. I can't wait.

I don't understand why the CRW would not allow you to companion plant though not that it really matters. I had Basil, nasturtium, onions garlic and whatever else I could chuck out there among my CRW tom's last year.

Oh and pics would be nice, it will gave us colder climate people some hope. :lol:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Good to hear I will be putting mine out soon as well. I can't wait.

I don't understand why the CRW would not allow you to companion plant though not that it really matters. I had Basil, nasturtium, onions garlic and whatever else I could chuck out there among my CRW tom's last year.

Oh and pics would be nice, it will gave us colder climate people some hope. :lol:
I used 5 ft. long sections of CRW and it made a circle about 2 ft. in diameter.
My tomato plants are spaced about 3 1/2 ft. apart. With the cages, I'd lose use of that space near the plants.

I have some stuff planted real close to the tomato plants that are doing well in the shade they provide. Hopefully, as it gets hotter in another month or so, that will extend my harvest before it gets too hot with the beets and mizuna.

I have quite a few pics but it is my understanding I need to use an outside source to be able to post to the group. I know a fair amount about many things, but computer related things are not my area of comfort. However, I do have a step-son that is a programmer and I may be able to bribe him with some good home cooking for some assistance in setting up the account and seeing how those things work.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Gumbo, I took your original post out and read it to my tomato plants. They seemed impressed. Two weeks to the first ripe tomato? Maybe I'd better urge mine on to greater achievements!
I have basil tucked among the tomatoes.

In the immortal words of "Larry the Cable Guy" Now that there's funny!!!

Trying subliminal messaging with the garden plants is a new twist. I believe I got a pretty good head start on your garden this year. I had the tomato plants in the ground by late February and took a chance it would not frost again. We did get a couple cold fronts come through but nothing below freezing, so they survived quite nicely.

My biggest problem right now is the buckmoth caterpillars. They are the early stages of the Buck Moth and in the caterpillar stage, they will complete defoliate plants overnight. I've found several today while working in my garden attacking the blackberry, tomato and the artichoke plants. I will check my rose bush in a bit since they love the tender leaves of that plant too. They have a voracious appetite for foliage and their sting lasts for hours if you are unfortunate enough to come in contact with them.

Not to fear, your tomato plants will do you right. I think you have done this a time or two. :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Not arguing here but just telling you that you could still plant other plants among your CRW and even within them. There is a lot of space in those. That is what I did. I even used the cages as a temp pea trellis.

Look outside the box or rather inside the cage. :P :lol:

As far as posting pics I prefer Photobucket it is fairly easy and works well with this site. If you need help PM me I can help you through it.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote: As far as posting pics I prefer Photobucket it is fairly easy and works well with this site. If you need help PM me I can help you through it.

Thanks for the offer of help. I prefer doing a Photolbucket account since the posts I've read about posting pics recommend it. I'll give it my best stab and see if I can work things out. I find jumping in with both feet is a pretty good way to learn new things--------------- or break legs, whichever comes first.

If I run into a problem, it's good to know you'll help. Much thanks.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”