Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Tomato blossoms falling off

I guessing they're falling off because of heat, lower 90's expected for the next couple of days....and thats in the shade. I'm sure the heat index will be in the upper 90's.

Any tips on how to keep these plants "cool"?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you can put a frame over around them, you could lay shade cloth or row cover over it and then mist the cloth for evaporative cooling.

I imagine you are right that it is heat stress causing the blossom drop.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I have some blue tarp left over from hurricane Charley. Would they work or would they make it even hotter?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You need a permeable covering that the air can move through. A plastic tarp would cook the plants, unless you only covered the top of whatever frame you erected, leaving all 4 sides open for air circulation.

If you intend to mist the covering, it should be something that will absorb water. Personally, I'm not sure evaporation would offer much in the way of cooling, since you're in an area with high humidity. JMO.

Shade cloth would allow the air to circulate, but protect the plant from the majority of the intense, direct sun. I doubt it would alter the ambient temperature a lot, but it might help a bit.

Are you growing varieties developed for warmer climates?

TWC015

I wouldn't be worried if only a few blossoms are dropping. Low 90s shouldn't cause all or even most of the blossoms to drop. I don't start having problems until the temperatures are above 95 for a few days and even then I still get some flowers to set fruit.

I would just wait until the temperatures go back into the 80s and see how they perform compared to the temperatures now.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Are you growing varieties developed for warmer climates?

I don't know. My sis gave me seeds to plant (mostly cherry-like tomatoes) and they're growing just fine, but I'm noticing more and more blossoms on the ground. And when I look at the ones still on the plant, I'm noticing yellowing right above the blossom itself. I'm also noticing a ton of tiny new blossoms starting, so that's a good thing.
I wouldn't be worried if only a few blossoms are dropping. Low 90s shouldn't cause all or even most of the blossoms to drop. I don't start having problems until the temperatures are above 95 for a few days and even then I still get some flowers to set fruit.

I'm cautiously relieved after reading that. My area will be back in the 80's again starting tuesday.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Have you read [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14764this Sticky in the Tomato Forum here about Tomato Blossom Drop?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”