s.studer

Flowers on tomato plant

My Japanese black trifele plants started on March 7 have flower buds on them already! I am planning to plant them outdoors afyer May 8th. did I start them too early?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Well, you will need to babysit them indeed. Most people will suggest to pinch off at such young age. Reason for that, so the plant can concentrate on developing itself, not fruit while still immature.

The only time I normally keep flowers to develop fruit at 5 weeks at least (not earlier) is for the very early, container varieties, mostly determinates, which I babysit, moving them in and out of garage depending on the weather. All in hopes for the earliest fruit. Anything for the main garden that goes in the ground - I don't let flower until in the ground.

Regards,
D

Lunacy
Cool Member

I thought a Japanese black trifele, was a odd ball tom that most people wouldn't even know about, yeah this is my second year so I don't know much. I am growing two JBT's one in a container and one in the ground. They have been in the ground now since 2-27 they are doing great! The JBT is the second largest tom I have in the ground only the Sun Gold is bigger, but the JBT has the fattest main stem in my yard! It looks super healthy.

Can anyone tell me how large this tom might grow?

s.studer

I am in New Jersey so mine are still inddors under grow lamps, but they also are really "fat". I am also curious about how big will they grow, since this is my first year growing this variety.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”