s.studer

Purple underleaaves

Some of my seedlings have dark purple stems and underleaves. I read that it can be Phosphorus deficiency. I have been applying 20-20-20 fert. seaweed fert and fish emulsion for at least two weeks but they are still purple. Am I doing something wrong?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Still indoors? If so, and if your temperatures are in the 55F-60F range, I personally see that as being normal. Many of my seedlings that I start indoors early in the season exhibit, while strong growth remains. Usually only the first set of leafs... And the same thing, time after time. Some varieties more so than others.

Once outside, and transplanted into a larger containers, first leafs are pinched off, and the rest is history.

I'd be very careful not to over fertilize the young seedlings. To be honest with you, in 6-8 weeks time span from germination, mine get only 2 treatments of fertilizer, and half strength, using only fish based (either Neptune's harvest 2-4-1 Aggrand 4-3-3). I do however mix it 1:3 ratio of worm casting in the seedlings and potting mix, and seems that the seedlings get most of the nutrients they need from that mix until planting time...

Good luck!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

D_V is right on track there just to help you feel better about your plants.

Mine are always a bit blue/purple. Some more than others. I don't actually fertilize myself until they go outside. I might give them a very low dose once or twice but not often. The only fertilizer I give them is fresh soil usually DR Earth.

Never fear you will be fine.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:I don't actually fertilize myself until they go outside.
Lmao...you fertilize yourself?? You have to be more into gardening than anyone else here Gix! :lol: :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

GardenRN wrote:
gixxerific wrote:I don't actually fertilize myself until they go outside.
Lmao...you fertilize yourself?? You have to be more into gardening than anyone else here Gix! :lol: :lol:
Hey I am a growing boy you know. :lol:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”