jordanleereynols

up-potting tomatoes

Does anyone have any pictures showing what size their plants where when they up potted each time? My tomatoes are in starter pots and have come up to about 2 inches high with 2 leaves. About the same for my peppers but they are much shorter. The growth on both has seemed to stop, but they seem way to small to move up, and the roots can't be made of much as the plants are only 3 weeks old since planting.

The way I understand, let it grow until you can pull the plant/roots/soil out all together and plant in next size pot. I am no where near that but I'm afraid something is wrong since my plants are slowing up.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I would wait until you have 2 true leaves on the tomato plants. By that, I mean leaves that look like a real tomato leaf and not the initial long thin leaves that first sprout up.

When you up-pot, remove these first 2 initial leaves and put the plant deep into the next potting soil high along the stem so it can set more roots. When I transplant into my garden, I'll set the plant almost to the point where all that is showing is the uppermost foliage and a bit of stem. That way, the plant sets out more roots along the planted stem.

I live in New Orleans so my tomatoes have been in the ground for weeks now and are fruiting but your winter is still going too strong to direct plant into the ground I'd imagine.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Let them go like Gumbo said. When you up-pot them you will be amazed how fast they take off. With each up-potting the same thing happens. And DO bury them deep tomatoes love that.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”