carnumbernine

Using MG garden soil and then fertilizing?

Is it necessary to still fertilize tomatoes with any additional fertilizers if you use the MG soil? If so, when would I start-right away?

I just planted the live tomato plants on Monday in zone 7/8...

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Hold off on the additional fertilizer. Plants need to establish root systems large and strong enough to support the "superstructure" aboveground that the fertilizer will stimulate them to develop *before* that fertilizer is brought onboard.

You've already given the plants a major kick-start with the powered-up potting soil, so they have enough to go on for at least six or so weeks, maybe more. If you have access to compost or worm castings, adding them in a few weeks might be helpful: they're very slow-release sources and won't overwhelm plants with their fertility and strength. The roots will be able to keep pace with the aboveground leaves, stems, and all, so no imbalance will be created. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

lily51
Greener Thumb

I've used MG potting mix for my greenhouse plants this year; everything seems to come with fertilizer already in it, even from greenhouse suppliers. Once the seedlings are transplanted, I've been fertilizing each week as I've done before. The fertilizer in the mix I use is slow release, so the additional fertilizer has been fine to use.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”