Rogue11

Advice on hardening

I recently ordered a tomato plant online because I couldn't find the seeds for it. Usually I grow all my plants from seeds outside and this is the first time I have to harden a plant before transplanting it.
The plant arrived very healthy and the weather seemed perfect during the day to harden it. It was overcast most of the time and in the mid 60s. For the past 4 days I have been leaving the plant out during the day, a couple hours more each day. I had planned on doing that for about a week, maybe starting to leave it out over night tomorrow.
However, according to the weather forecast the temperature will go up next week starting on Tuesday with 74 all the way to high 80s on Thursday. The place where my tomatoes are planted has full sun all day long.
Of course I don't want to put the plant in the ground on Wednesday when it is 80 degree. So my question it should I shorten the hardening period and transplant it on Monday when it is still cooler or wait another week or so until it gets cooler again?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If your plant is a reasonably large, with a well developed root system, you could go ahead and set it out. I think it would be a good idea to have some way to give it afternoon shade during the hot days, if you can. Just some shade cloth stretched between a couple of stakes on the side that gets sun in the early to mid afternoon would be sufficient.

I don't know where you're located, so if you aren't past your last frost date yet, you might want to wait. Spring weather can vary wildly. If your plant is outgrowing its container, you could always move it to a larger one, which would allow you to move it around, or even indoors, as needed.

If you decide to go ahead and set it out, be sure you have some means of covering it, just in case the temperature drops into the freezing range. Again, I don't know where you are, so maybe there isn't any chance of your weather turing cold. I'm just speaking from my own experience in the various states where I've gardened. :)

Rogue11

Thanks a lot.
I am in Southern California. Although it has been unseasonal cool lately it didn't drop below 45 degree even at night.
The plant is rather large and looks really healthy. So, I guess I'll put it out tomorrow.
thanks again.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”