F0od

Plant tomatillos deep?!

Might not be the right part of the forum for this, but I have lots of tomatillos started, and I was wondering if I should plant their stems below the soil like you do tomatoes. Thanks!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I do. Just like tomatoes.

Eric

sixshooter

I need to start some of those. Where did you get your seeds?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I get most of my seed from Territorial Seed Co.

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

I don't plant them deep. when the lower branches touch the ground( or I make them) they root and each branch grows like a monster from then on out.

works even better if you leave them to sprawl on the ground.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

My Mexican strain tomatillos were left to sprawl last year, what a mess. I found it difficult to harvest.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/DSC02569.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/DSC02570.jpg[/img]

Eric

F0od

Thanks for the responses 8) How close were your plants spaced in those pictures doubledog?

sixshooter

Do you think ill have to special order my tomatillo seeds? I'm hoping I can find some seeds at the greenhouse.near me that opens april 1st. If I have to order them I'm afriad that I will not have time to have them started.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

How close were your plants spaced in those pictures doubledog?
I'm using a borrowed computer, so I can't post a picture. I'll post one later.
I had quite a few plants that didn't sell, so I plugged them in pretty tight. They were planted about 12" in all directions. 18 to 24" may have been better.

Do you think ill have to special order my tomatillo seeds? I'm hoping I can find some seeds at the greenhouse.near me that opens april 1st. If I have to order them I'm afriad that I will not have time to have them started.
Have you checked locally? Most places that sell seed, sell tomatillos.

I will be selling plants at the end of April. Aunt Molly's and Mexican strain

Eric

sixshooter

a couple of the bigger greenhouses open april 1st around here...so ill see if I can find some seeds friday. I don't think ive ever seen starter plants around here...but ive never really looked so who knows. Not counting on someone having started plants just in case.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Totally Tomatos has seeds.
It's not too late to start them if you're in Michigan. I'm in Ohio and starting tomatos the start of next week. I have a greenhouse, though, and that could make a difference. Still, they germinate and grow fast.
Our frost free date is May 15-20, so that gives 6 weeks or so, which is plenty. Anymore with our weather, I wait until memorial day for some plants to plant outside. :? Example: yesterday sunny and 50's, today 6" of snow.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”