se3388
Newly Registered

Large pink tomato

We are trying to find out what we had so my question is, few years ago my Wife ordered some tomato seedlings and they produced a large fruit (about 5-6 inches) and was a pinkish in color with a lot of 'meat' and small seed areas. They tasted fantastic and made great Tomato sandwiches. If I remember right they had long vines. I know there is a bewildering array of Tomatoes but was hoping this might sound familiar to someone. We can't remember where we ordered it from either.
They look similar to Ponderosa Pink Tomato except they were more pinkish.

Steve E........

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Very difficult to say, again, since there are thousands varieties out there. But what you may want to do, is look through Tatiana's Tomato Base: [url=https://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Category:Pink_Tomatoes]Pink Tomatoes[/url]

Hopefully you will find what you are looking for, but it may take a while :wink:

Regards,
D

greg921
Newly Registered

It might be Morgage Lifter tomato,,,,,,greg

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

wow, they could have been anything! Hybrids or heirlooms?

I suggest you read up on some pink beefsteak varieties and pick a couple each year until you get one that tastes perfect. You could try: brandywine, mortgage lifter, and/or giant belgium to start.

Have you read Heirloom Tomato by Amy Goldman? It is the best book on tomatoes ever. See if your library has it.

se3388
Newly Registered

I knew it would be almost impossible to ever find out what it was. I have been looking for a while and have came to the conclusion that there is a bewildering array of Tomatoes out there and more coming out all the time. Thanks for your help and I'm going to try to find that book.

Steve E...........

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Do you know where she ordered from? If you said that she brought them home from some place like Home Depot etc. I could make some guesses, and if she got them from a big heirloom tomato place I could make some suggestions.

There are a lot of very good pink beefsteaks out there and we could certainly point you to one of those as a substitute,

Lunacy
Cool Member

I see petalfuzzes advice as the best solution, you may never find that exact Tom but if you try a few different ones every year you will find one you like better or every bit as much!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”