Alight
Newly Registered

How often should I water my tomatoes?

I seeded my tomatoes on 2/19 and they are about 6" tall. How often should I water them. I try to watch the moisture of the soil but I get scared that they are to dry and water. I have also noticed that the under side of the leaves are very purple. I have used miracle grow to fertilize. This is only my second year growing from seed, last year I had the same problem but by the time I got them outside and in the ground they took off and were very healthy plants. I'm just nervous, I don't want to buy plants this year cause I made a mistake!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Purple underside of the leaves is normal.

Water when the top 1/2" of the soil gets dry.

I have mine in a tray and just put water in the tray for them to soak up from the bottom. Gives you a lot more control over the moisture levels. Doing that way, I put a little bit of water in the tray every day, but only enough that it gets soaked up within a couple hours, not to leave them sitting in water.

Alight
Newly Registered

Thank you Thank you! You just made me feel so much better. I have been watering every 2 to 3 days. I also water from the bottom, but my soil at the top stays dry. But I can feel the most soil at the bottom of my peat pot.

fishntime

rainbowgardener wrote:Purple underside of the leaves is normal.

Water when the top 1/2" of the soil gets dry.

I have mine in a tray and just put water in the tray for them to soak up from the bottom. Gives you a lot more control over the moisture levels. Doing that way, I put a little bit of water in the tray every day, but only enough that it gets soaked up within a couple hours, not to leave them sitting in water.
Thank you also. I was doing it right last year but they did not do real good. I been worried that I was messing up the watering but was doing it right.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”