Skian

Transplant or not (help!)

Hello All
I think I messed up? I started my tomato seeds in 4" containers. Germination was fine - not quite to first leaf yet. I just read that transplanting your tomatoes is good for the root structure and strength. Should I try to trick them and transplant to a new 4" container before my final ground transplant.
How important is the transplant stage from a starter size container to a 4" container?
Does this also apply to peppers?

Thanks.
Ian

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Don't worry about it. But when you move your tomatoes to their final container or into the ground, remove some of the lowest branches. Then, place the plant deep enough in the ground, so that the surface of the soil comes up to just below the branches you left. :)

Odd Duck

Because TX has only a relatively short time in the spring and fall that tomatoes will prosper (we get too hot), I start mine quite a ways ahead, then up-pot 2-3 times before they go in the ground. I picked that up from an "old-hand".

This gives me stronger transplants than letting them get pot-bound in a 4" pot. I go from my 4" pots to gallon size, usually. Depending on your planting dates will determine when or if you need to up-pot again. I don't like to leave them in the 4" pots for more than a month. Mine stay in the TP tube rounds for only a week or so if I'm on top of it (that's always my plan, anyway). As soon as I see a little root coming out the bottom I up-pot to the 4" pots. This is usually about the time the true leaves are just barely appearing. Hope this helps.

Skian

Thank you. I will keep my eye out for any roots coming through the bottom. Good to know.

Ian

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I'm with odd duck - I transplant up several times and end up in gallon pots. The plants are healthy and start producing earlier. I do that with most of my plants.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”