Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I guess you could say the blind is leading you to the blinds! you are a seeing eye dog arn't you!If you wern't now your are! Anothing I forgot to mention are white plastic plates that are very cheap and can be cut into 30 or more markers per plate! Any white plastic container will work great even a old laundry basket with the thin plastic trips! You can buy cheap ones at the dollar store! I love $$$ stores!

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I like using the "cell map" for the plug flats and the markers. I also number my pots and reuse those each year (they are bleached before being stored). So, when I transplant each group of plants, I put them in pots with the same number and note that on my "cell map."

The "map" allows me to remember which of the seedlings came up first and on what date because I have a place to make those notes. It is such a small bit of work to be sure which plants I am moving around in the early stages and while they are growing.

There are a lot of creative and inexpensive ideas here.

shelleyinmichigan
Cool Member

I remember reading something in a gardening magazine about using blind slats for markers. There was some warning about plastic blinds made in China leaching lead into the soil. Does anybody remember hearing about this?

Also, I readily admit I was a complete failure when it came to marking what I had planted in the garden. I tried making a makeshift map, only to leave it in my greenhouse and have it fade so badly I couldn't make anything out! Last spring I tried index cards stapled to wooden stakes and driven into the ground with baggies over the cards held on with rubber bands. The next day all the baggies and rubber bands were gone. (I am currently dealing with a stalker at my workplace, so this will forever haunt me)

I love those copper garden markers and other things I've seen in catalogs, but things like that tend to be more of a hazard for me and my movements around the garden.

So one day I was down at the beach and notices these beautiful black stones, and I mean there were TONS of them all over the point! I gathered up about a dozen and took them home. With a nice metallic silver Sharpie I wrote the names of the vegetables I had planted and plunked the black stones right in the dirt.

Nothing sticking out to catch my clothing or the handle on my garden cart. Nothing to blow away, wrinkle, wash away or fade in the sun. Weather proof and they can stay out even in the winter under the snow.

This year I think I might spruce up my rocks with some artwork too!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Shelley, I think that's a great idea! :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Lots of good ideas here I like the permanent marker idea I will have to look for some cause Sharpies ink don't last in the sun, than paint markers came up. Dohhh!!! Why didn't I think of that before I used to use them on skateboards back in the day some I still have with the same paint on them. Great idea there.

Popsicle stick aren't bad either but they fad with time and weather, I thought about putting clear tape over the writing if I use them.

Maps are good too if you don't loose them. I messed up last year doing a map of of my seedlings and mixed up the names but I didn't loose my garden map, still almost all of the variety's were different than marked.

I thought about putting the names in plastic bags tied to the supports for tomatoes this year.

I may do the map with tape and a bag for the triple non screw up like I had last year. :lol:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

here is a great marker for a flat or just a 6 pack of plants. Its the wooden cloths pin that woks like a chip bag closer spring loaded. You can by like 30 or more for a dollar. They are easy to write on and you can clip them to the container easy!. You can also write something on both sides. I think may start using them because you can use a pen or pencil to write on them. They hold the print very well and can be sanded to remove it in a second so they are reuseable! Another reason I like them is holding my seed packs that are only half empty shut! You can take them appart and it works like two pop sickle sticks if you have a place to stick in the soil!!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I guess you can cut the pop sticks in half on a angle and have two pointed halfs or 600 per pack. Great way to go! I think they even sell colored ones which may be of some use also. How about color coded sticks or colored tooth picks! The pop sticks I think are the best and to really make them small cut them into 4 pieces with a blade cutter and they would be pointed!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Ya DD I remember this but could no find it! I was using blinds too but these Jumo sticks are fantastic and easy to write on. Cut in hald they are excellent for flats or 6 packs! I cut them with my blade cutter and I cut them on a angle and they are sharp and stick even outside in the garden! What can you get cheaper that are lean and look good! 75 for a dollar. They are made by Foster company from NJ..

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Ya I guess the best way is to make a color copy of the seed pack but reduce the size to 10 per sheet and put it into a small plastic bag that you can get 100 at wal mart for $2.00 is the way to go! Yes and they are a excellen way to sell the plants in 4 packs with the color copy attached to the pack! For instance most people never heard of Grannys green tomatoes so the picture is worth a 1000 words in this case or in the case of purple peppers!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I save old plant labels and also bought some from Lowes. They work great and forget the sharpie. I am a tried and true Paint pen user thanks to this thread. :lol:

I went to a local craft store they have several styles. Some were not cheap but I found just what I was looking for and they were only a couple bucks for a set of 2 maybe 3.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”