Dixana
Greener Thumb

Cell markers

Well since I'm growing 1-2 of roughly 20 types of tomatoes I need to be super careful in how they're marked so I can keep track to save seeds. Suggestions? I was thinking toothpicks with pasking tape but the sharpie won't stay on the stupid tape if it gets wets.....

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Dixana,

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about making some kind of flags?

If so, you are right, permanent marker does not last... I found that for me, the least expensive method that works is old blinds (of if you don't have any, walmart sells them for as little as $2.99 - these will last you for 4-5 years worth of label making).

White blinds tend to be a little more porous, so permanent marker stays very very long time. I was cleaning the garden past weekend, found few of those labels from last season still in the ground, and still, very readable.

Blinds are easy to cut to any size you want too...

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/788232539_dEfu8-L.jpg[/img]

Regards,
D

Dixana
Greener Thumb

:D GENIUS!!! Now I wonder how mad the hubby would be If I chooped up the living rooms the cat and child have half destroyed anyway....

You're awesome D!!

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Dixana,

I don't think I'm the first one by any means :lol:

But few years back, I was lurking through the seed racks at Lowe's and noticed $3.99 for a pack of plant markers. About 20 or so in the pack, which I thought was ridiculous! And I already had the blinds for the basement of the house we just built in the basket. So there it was for me, and I have been using the same blinds set for the past 3 years :lol:

Have fun!

Regards,
D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

This is the Garden Marker we use and highly recommend it.

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/garden-marker-pen

Eric

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the link eric.
For the outside garden I'm thinking of starting a mini home business making clay garden markers. When I showed a few of the farmers market girls a stetch last year they loved it and wanted some, but I haven't found access to a kiln as of yet. I mold clay into little veggies and paint them, or make little spades and write plant names on. Very cute for the simple gardener. :) Don't think I'm going to make them for my 20+ mater varieties though LOL.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I use a spread sheet to note where things are in the flats. Tomorrow, I will be starting a variety of veggies in a 200 plug flat. I block off each area for a particular seed and note it on the printed grid.

Once I move these up, I use plastic markers for each pot - these can be bleached so are reuseable.

Tomatoes are the one plant that get clip on type tags once they are large enough. I got mine at a farm store - 50 for $2.50 and they can be reused.
I still put an upright plastic marker in the pot but I like the clip on type in case the squirrels decide to raid the garden so I will know which plant is which.

It works for me.

soil
Greener Thumb

we use the 300 pack of Popsicle sticks from the dollar store. easy, cheap, effective.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

we use the 300 pack of Popsicle sticks from the dollar store. easy, cheap, effect
I've done this also. A box of 500 tongue depressors. Inexpensive and biodegradable. :wink:

Eric

csvd87

you can also draw up a cell map.

I got a 200 pack of wooden coffee stir sticks from wal-mart for 72 cents.

soil
Greener Thumb

also if you grow bamboo or know anyone who does, you can split it into thin strips easily, cut them to about 5-6 inches in length and use them as temporary markers/labels. they last about 6 months or less depending on how wet they get and hot hot it is. I find one small bamboo pole will give me a few dozen labels.

lily51
Greener Thumb

I use the greenhouse megastore for many of my supllies for my 18x28 greenhouse. There is a roll of 1000 plastic markers that tear off, for about $15-$17. This is probably more than you want or need, but maybe you can find someone(s) to share the cost with.
Things are cheaper the earlier in the year you purchase them. I tried using popsicle sticks in the greenhouse, but even with permanant marker, the writing faded over time. Sharpie waterproof markers work well on the plastic labels.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

A paint pen works much better than permanent ink. That's what I use now, thanks to a suggestion by Lorax [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168788#168788]here[/url]. :)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Look for the vertical blinds they are larger and you can get 100,s of tags from them. I cut mine in a triangle with the sharp edge in the dirt! Also the back of floor vinyl is great! On my boxes of seeds planted I put the seed package inside a small zip bag and staple it to my styrofoam box no writting! Put all your seed packs on your color copier or just cut the part of the seed pack you want and do 20 seed packs on one sheet and put it into a plastic bag. You can also put a piece of clear tape over the labe you copy and tape it to the seed box! Another thing is save your old seed catalogs and cut the label out for the seed you are planting in the plastic bag! it does look more professionl. if you are selling plants get the seed catalog and blow up the plant picture and it will sell much quicker!
+++++Sometimes when you read your own post you get something out of it that you forgot you actually wrote. The part about making a color copy of the actual seed pack is a great idea then put it in a plastic bag and staple of clip it to the box! is also reat for selling the plants!
Last edited by Bobberman on Thu May 26, 2011 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

D,

You are a bad influence. :wink:

So I'm at the consignment store and what do I see, a pile of old blinds.
I brought this one home. $2.00
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Greenhouse%20Photos/DSC03270.jpg[/img]

[Cut the strings and ended up with 74 of these.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Greenhouse%20Photos/DSC03271.jpg[/img]

Tape them together tightly and cut into 6" segments. 5 neat bundles = 370 plastic tags for $2.00 :D
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Greenhouse%20Photos/DSC03273.jpg[/img]

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Wed May 25, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I guess you could say the blind is leading you to the blinds! you are a seeing eye dog arn't you!If you wern't now your are! Anothing I forgot to mention are white plastic plates that are very cheap and can be cut into 30 or more markers per plate! Any white plastic container will work great even a old laundry basket with the thin plastic trips! You can buy cheap ones at the dollar store! I love $$$ stores!

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I like using the "cell map" for the plug flats and the markers. I also number my pots and reuse those each year (they are bleached before being stored). So, when I transplant each group of plants, I put them in pots with the same number and note that on my "cell map."

The "map" allows me to remember which of the seedlings came up first and on what date because I have a place to make those notes. It is such a small bit of work to be sure which plants I am moving around in the early stages and while they are growing.

There are a lot of creative and inexpensive ideas here.

shelleyinmichigan
Cool Member

I remember reading something in a gardening magazine about using blind slats for markers. There was some warning about plastic blinds made in China leaching lead into the soil. Does anybody remember hearing about this?

Also, I readily admit I was a complete failure when it came to marking what I had planted in the garden. I tried making a makeshift map, only to leave it in my greenhouse and have it fade so badly I couldn't make anything out! Last spring I tried index cards stapled to wooden stakes and driven into the ground with baggies over the cards held on with rubber bands. The next day all the baggies and rubber bands were gone. (I am currently dealing with a stalker at my workplace, so this will forever haunt me)

I love those copper garden markers and other things I've seen in catalogs, but things like that tend to be more of a hazard for me and my movements around the garden.

So one day I was down at the beach and notices these beautiful black stones, and I mean there were TONS of them all over the point! I gathered up about a dozen and took them home. With a nice metallic silver Sharpie I wrote the names of the vegetables I had planted and plunked the black stones right in the dirt.

Nothing sticking out to catch my clothing or the handle on my garden cart. Nothing to blow away, wrinkle, wash away or fade in the sun. Weather proof and they can stay out even in the winter under the snow.

This year I think I might spruce up my rocks with some artwork too!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Shelley, I think that's a great idea! :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Lots of good ideas here I like the permanent marker idea I will have to look for some cause Sharpies ink don't last in the sun, than paint markers came up. Dohhh!!! Why didn't I think of that before I used to use them on skateboards back in the day some I still have with the same paint on them. Great idea there.

Popsicle stick aren't bad either but they fad with time and weather, I thought about putting clear tape over the writing if I use them.

Maps are good too if you don't loose them. I messed up last year doing a map of of my seedlings and mixed up the names but I didn't loose my garden map, still almost all of the variety's were different than marked.

I thought about putting the names in plastic bags tied to the supports for tomatoes this year.

I may do the map with tape and a bag for the triple non screw up like I had last year. :lol:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

here is a great marker for a flat or just a 6 pack of plants. Its the wooden cloths pin that woks like a chip bag closer spring loaded. You can by like 30 or more for a dollar. They are easy to write on and you can clip them to the container easy!. You can also write something on both sides. I think may start using them because you can use a pen or pencil to write on them. They hold the print very well and can be sanded to remove it in a second so they are reuseable! Another reason I like them is holding my seed packs that are only half empty shut! You can take them appart and it works like two pop sickle sticks if you have a place to stick in the soil!!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I guess you can cut the pop sticks in half on a angle and have two pointed halfs or 600 per pack. Great way to go! I think they even sell colored ones which may be of some use also. How about color coded sticks or colored tooth picks! The pop sticks I think are the best and to really make them small cut them into 4 pieces with a blade cutter and they would be pointed!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Ya DD I remember this but could no find it! I was using blinds too but these Jumo sticks are fantastic and easy to write on. Cut in hald they are excellent for flats or 6 packs! I cut them with my blade cutter and I cut them on a angle and they are sharp and stick even outside in the garden! What can you get cheaper that are lean and look good! 75 for a dollar. They are made by Foster company from NJ..

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Ya I guess the best way is to make a color copy of the seed pack but reduce the size to 10 per sheet and put it into a small plastic bag that you can get 100 at wal mart for $2.00 is the way to go! Yes and they are a excellen way to sell the plants in 4 packs with the color copy attached to the pack! For instance most people never heard of Grannys green tomatoes so the picture is worth a 1000 words in this case or in the case of purple peppers!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I save old plant labels and also bought some from Lowes. They work great and forget the sharpie. I am a tried and true Paint pen user thanks to this thread. :lol:

I went to a local craft store they have several styles. Some were not cheap but I found just what I was looking for and they were only a couple bucks for a set of 2 maybe 3.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”