Des_WA

Black Cherry Toms in Containers?

My husband badgered me into starting some container-friendly seeds in mid-January. :lol: Unfortunately, at the time I didn't realize Black Cherry tomato plants got as huge as a standard indeterminate, and now we have 5 very happy healthy seedlings growing like weeds and not a clue where we're going to put them. :oops: Planting outside is not an option, my garden is (over)full and by the time tomato planting is too distant still.

I've seen a few posts here and there hinting at successfully growing indeterminates in containers - what size works for you? I'm guessing 5 gallon is too small for most situations, but 15 gal? 20?

Thanks!

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I grow indeterminates in those huge plastic tubs with rope handles - Walmart has them for about $5.

aliall1

I used to try growing them in 5 gal when I lived in AZ. I got a few fruit, but they clearly would have been happier in bigger containers.

Des_WA

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try one of those big tubs or a 15-20 gal container, whichever I find cheaper. :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I had a bunch of Black Cherry in 10 gal containers last year they did good but would be better in ground.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03642.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03652.jpg[/img]

They would have been better in the soil I actually mixed up my seeds and put them in containers on accident. :oops:

Des_WA

I'm sure they'd to better in soil; I'm just flat out of room in the garden this year... Big oops on my part for not knowing they weren't a bush type!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

They will do alright in pots. I had quite a few toms off of my potted ones.

I messed up big time too. I wanted them all in ground myself but mixed my naming somehow.

They are awesome either way though so don't fret too bad.

SarahSarah
Cool Member

My black cherries had an AWFUL germination rate. Out of 8 seeds, only 2 came up. I just hope these two survive until I can get them in the ground. I've got plenty of other toms, but cherry toms are my FAVORITES!

Des_WA

Well I got those big round 20-gallon tubs with the rope handles for each of the plants - 5 total! I hope I can still lug these around when they're full of dirt...

I'm going to up-pot them this weekend I think, but I have to figure out how to keep them well-lit. It's a bit too cold outside still to have them out during the day and my seedling table has 3 sets of shoplights suspended above it but they won't shine much outside the table. Still pondering that one, I may just have to bite the bullet and buy more lights...

Iradel
Newly Registered

So how did the containers work for you? My yard is too shaded. I have to plant everything in containers. I thought I would try these.

imafan26
Mod

I grow my tomatoes in the rope handle buckets too. They are about 18 gallons. I have grown Black Cherry tomatoes in them. Black cherry is an indeterminate, and the flavor is good. It is not a very productive plant so you won't get as much poundage as sweet millions.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”