Skian

Tomato List 2011

I have my list narrowed down.
Please feel free to comment, pros/cons, do's/don'ts etc.
Make suggesttions of your favorites?

I will grow these in raised beds -

Arkansas Traveler
Black From Tula
Brazilian Beauty
Great White
Royal Hillbilly
Valley Girl

Black Cherry
and Isis Candy (again, only repeat from last year)

These I am planning to grow in containers -

Fireworks
Kimberly
Orange Paruche
Stupice

What do you think?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Heres my 2 cents.

I had Isis Candy Cherry last year, 3 plants everyone was different the the other. My biggest plant was the best the others I didn't really eat many of. Black Cherry is the bomb diggity, those were so awesome, everyone who tried them absolutely loved them. I will probably always have them somewhere in my garden.

Black from Tula was also very good, though I had lots of splitting. But the splitting was rampant throughout my garden, all in all a very great tomato.

I will be trying Ark Traveler this year I hear they love the heat and are great producers.

That is all I have for you, good luck.

Skian

Thank you Gix.
That is the kind of input I'm looking for.
Happy Tomaotes for you!!!

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

To add to what Gixx already mentioned:

Black From Tula - one of my personal favorites, somewhat compact indeterminate, that does well in hot weather. Can crack indeed, but worth growing!!!

Black Cherry - very tasty, very good flavored tomato that can produce abundantly!

Kimberly - good flavor for an early tomato, fairly productive, compact plant that is easy to maintain (grown in 10gal container)

Stupice - nothing remarkable or memorable comes to mind. Ok flavor, not the earliest in my garden (grown in 18gal container)

Hope this helps, and happy gardening!

Regards,
D

Cirtes

Arkansas Traveler - reliable plant in my SoCal hot and dry garden. Sets fruit in high heat. Really big thick foliage. Taste is very good.

Fireworks - super early cluster producer. Takes cool and gloomy weather well. Tall plant but not dense of leaf. Excellent taste for such an early variety. Already have three of these in the ground for April/May tomatoes.

Stupice - also super early variety. Similar behavior to Fireworks. I have better results with Stupice in spring than in fall, but that speaks more of my climate than the tomato itself. Taste is good. Prefer Fireworks taste but find Stupice to be resilient and worth planting as well.

I have grown Black From Tula and Black Cherry but never a big fan of either. Both have excellent flavor but for me Black Krim outperforms both in my garden and I'm just not a fan of cherries.

Good Luck.

Skian

Thank you Cirtes.
I was tempted to grow Black Krim again this year. I still might.
I grew it last summer and thought it was a great tasting tomato.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”