DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ted,

I believe 99.5% of the plastic pot would be resting on the ground. The wire is what 1/8" diameter? So not much of a gap. If we are talking the big black nursery puts, they are really tough and flexable.

Eric

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Your probably right Eric.

Coincidentally, I was looking at some new large pots at Walmart yesterday for flowers. They have these really large pots that have that Mexican pottery appearance with the rustic stone finish. I picked one up thinking it would weigh about thirty pounds. It actually weighed about 1/2 pound because it was simply a plastic foam pot like the Styrofoam beer coolers with a pretty finish on it. They cost about $25.00 each and don't feel like they could last an entire summer full of soil.

Ted

Imperialboy

I just use the typical nursery pots.

Imperialboy

So just made this quickly.:

[img]https://i52.tinypic.com/103snd5.jpg[/img]

That's all you do for the bending.
What about for the hole drilling. The arrow shows the last rung to attach the four wires. But I'm lost after that.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I can't think of anything to do after you get the wires attached other than add soil and grow some tomatoes.

You will find it easier to attach the wires to the washers first and then feed each wire through each hole to the bottom or even the second ring on the cage. That allows you to adjust the vertical alignment of the cage as you wrap the wires. Try to attach the wires where a ring and a leg on the cage have a junction. It isn't mandatory, but it does make the connection stronger with less probability of breaking the welds holding the rings together.

Good Luck and happy gardening.

Ted

Imperialboy

So then that's all to do? Still don't get the hole drilling and how to attach cage through the holes. Think I'll just give up on it and just use the bending technique.

Still trying to figure out this: [img]https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/SamhainP8/Trellis.jpg[/img]

Or should I just stake it like this?
[img]https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/SamhainP8/BucketSupport.jpg[/img]

Instead drill holes on top and bring the wire from the stake, to the side of the container and run it all the way up along the container through the top hole.

Would that stake way be better or the cage?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

If you will move the wires to the top of the bucket and attach them to the cage instead of the stake, that is what I am talking about. I don't know any other way to say it, but the wires need to be at the top of the pot instead of the bottom of the pot. Think about a tall radio or television tower with cables (guy wires) attached to it. The cables extend downward from the tower at an angle and are attached to concrete anchors at the bottom. By attaching the wires near the top of the pot and to the cages at an upward angle, you are mimicking the principle of holding a skinny tower up with guy wires.

Eric, with your artistic skills can you make a side view of the pot with the cage in it showing where the wires need to attach through the side of the pot at the top and extend to the cage at an angle serving as guy wires. I don't know any other way to explain it.

Imperialboy, do you understand that no part of the cage should be outside of the pot? The cage, legs included needs to be inside the pot. The wooden stake isn't needed. The only thing extending to the outside of the pot are the wires with the washers attached outside the pot.

I can't think of any other way to say it or explain it. If I had a pot and a cage, I would build one, take some photos, and post them; but I don't.

Ted

Imperialboy

Guess it's up to Eric :P
So then you have wires attached to the the bend at the bottom up through holes at the top?

I'll just wait for Eric..

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”