digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: How to Save Tomato Seeds

I also use the paper method. However, I live where summer and fall months are very arid with under 20% humidity on most afternoons. I cannot help but think that helps with this method.

Tomato seeds come right off the cutting board onto a paper towel or coffee filter. They will sit out on my deck under a roof for up to 3 weeks. Sunshine hits that location for a couple of hours every afternoon. The seeds and paper are stored in sandwich bags.

I haven't been doing this for 40+ years but about half that length of time ;). Germination success is very good for the first year or so. I have found that store-bought seed has as much variable germination and longevity as my saved seed. That seed is from multiple sources and that probably adds to my success or failure with it. Anyway, I try to be sure to have fresh seed by the fifth year if not sooner. That rule of thumb also came from experience.

Steve

Dissily Mordentroge

I’ve successfully used my father’s method since the 1950s. Place untreated seeds on a sheet of newspaper and allow to dry. Place another sheet on top and write the name of the variety on the paper’s edge. Store in a cool dry place.
When ready to plant I cut around each seed and plant with the piece of paper.
Never had any problems with this method although I suspect it wouldn’t work in a humid tropical climate.

imafan26
Mod

Actually, an alternative to fermenting has always been to wash the fresh seeds in a strainer until all the gelatin is washed off and then dry it. Fermenting and washing is not the problem. In a humid climate it is hard to get the seeds less than 30% moisture. So, I store the dried seed in a paper towel inside of a ziploc bag. If I have dessicants, I can store multiple seeds in paper towels in individual paper envelopes inside one large zip loc bag with the dessicant. If it stores right the paper towel will not collect any stain.

Most of the time, I will actually plant the fresh tomato seeds and not store them. I can keep tomatoes continuously throughout the year. Most tomatoes will last about 10 months if they have good disease resistance. This is how I keep the sweet pea currant going.

abhaykale

Would the method work for frost damaged tomatoes as well?

applestar
Mod

Frost damage won’t affect quality of seeds as long as the fruit has reached at least blushing stage. Better/most fully developed seeds inside if they are fully colored and ripe. If frost is due to extended freezing temperatures. there might be some question of viability if longer than 4 to 6 hours in subfreezing temperatures (but I’m sure you would call that a “freeze” event).

Basic rule of thumb, when cleaning the seeds, rinse out all contents of strainer in a bowl of water. Carefully pour off any floaters — BEWARE gel-coated seeds will float even if it’s good and would have sunk without the gel … don’t lose those — add more water, let settle and tilt the bowl in opposite direction to pour off again. Seeds that remain sank on the bottom are the ones to save. Add water final time and return (pour) seeds into (cleaned) strainer to drain and dry.

Well-cleaned seeds with all gel removed will clump together by their seed husk hairs, not stick together due to the gel.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”