Dixana
Greener Thumb

Wild Boar Tomatoes

After my DELICIOUS tie-dye tomatoes last year I have to have more.
I can make room for about 3 more varieties.
What did you guys think of the ones you tried as far as taste and production?
I was a little disappointed in the production of the Berkley tie-dye, but it was started a little late and our weather last summer was just....weird.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I grew Beauty King last year. It was the prettiest tomato I have ever seen. It tasted better than store bought...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

oh come on, TZ :) "tasted better than store bought" Isn't that called damning with faint praise? At least it is setting the bar very low. All us gardeners know that store bought tomatoes are terrible and have hardly any taste. So you are saying it looked pretty, but was nothing special in the taste department?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Mine did alright I never really ate any of them they never got very big they did come in late like in the fall. I Think I mihgt still have some seeds left so I will try again. Last year was the worst tomato season ever for me.

Hoping for better luck this year. And maybe another giveaway. :lol:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I think I spit it out on first try but I tried another one later and decided that it was only bad in relation to the really good varieties I had been eating. When the garden starts producing I get a little particular about what I swallow. Life is too short when you have better options sitting on the counter. The flavor isn't exactly bad or as unusual as something like Green Zebra and if you didn't grow anything else it would probably taste pretty good.

applestar
Mod

I have to look up my notes. I grew 4 of them last year and two of them in particular caught my attention. One I think was the the AAA Sweet something -- it had a fruity kind of flavor, and the other I think was the one that looked like a black tie-dye and not the pink tie-dye, but really, I should verify.

tomakers

TZ -OH6 wrote:I think I spit it out on first try but I tried another one later and decided that it was only bad in relation to the really good varieties I had been eating. When the garden starts producing I get a little particular about what I swallow. Life is too short when you have better options sitting on the counter. The flavor isn't exactly bad or as unusual as something like Green Zebra and if you didn't grow anything else it would probably taste pretty good.
I love Green Zebra. I had to say it! It is one of my favorites. I always grow at least 2 plants and usually eat the majority of them myself.
I'm growing a bunch of these this year. I can't remember the names. CRS strikes again. :D
JMO,
Tom

applestar
Mod

:idea:) I think Tedln mentioned it in another post -- Black and Brown Boar.

So which of the tie-dyes did you really like? Maybe I should try growing it/them again to before writing them off.... :?

Dixana
Greener Thumb

The flavor of the Berkeley Tie-dye is wonderful, but I was a little disappointed in production.
I'm giving it another chance because we had a really wet, weird summer in '10 and I started it kind of late.

filmnet

My Berkerly was perfect, also I grew 2 Sweet Carneros Pink, if you use fruit for sauce they are perfect. Because when they are ripe they are to soft to cut, thin skinned, full of juice though, look how they grow really outstanding looking. tennis ball size, BTW I did cook all of mine, 400 for 1 hr cut up with onions, herbs, garlic.ovo. So sweet sauce. this year for me Black and Brown Boar, Berkerly, Sweet Caneros Pink AAA one also
[img]https://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/filmnet1/Can1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/filmnet1/can2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/filmnet1/berkelyinside.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/filmnet1/sweetCaroeros-1.jpg[/img]

tedln
Super Green Thumb

filmnet,

Those are some gorgeous photos. I grew the Sweet Carneros Pink last year and wasn't impressed with the taste. I planted them in late spring and the heat of early summer hit. The plants survived into the fall and bloomed and set fruit for my fall garden. I don't think I gave them a fair chance to perform, but their fall production was pretty bland tasting. This year, I will be planting four Wild Boar Farm varieties much earlier in order to give them time to bloom and set fruit. I think the varieties which ripen in some summer heat with longer days will taste better.

Ted

filmnet

That Cluster shot was on the top of the plant,5 ft tall I tied it to a large stick all summer , it never wanted to grow branches left or right. As you see the fruit was very heavy and was growing all summer very close to the center stem. the fruit you had to cut fruit off, so stiff branches, I did get 3 sets of fruit from each plant this year, I hope this years is the same. Here is another shot, I did not do any shots later in the summer when they are ripe this summer I will.
[img]https://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/filmnet1/carncukie.jpg[/img]

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I think the Sweet Carneros Pink as you photographed them would win any beauty contest. I love the gold frosting on the skin just before they ripen. When they do ripen in the light pink colors, I don't find them attractive and then when I eat them, they just seem a little bland in taste. I'm also attracted by tomatoes which have a full roundness in their shape. The SCP's seemed to have a three lobed appearance in shape. If they were a green when ripe variety, your photos would have captured one of the most perfect tomatoes for me.

Ted

filmnet

Nice poetry!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”