hardland

Can a main stem heal and still grow if it's damaged?

I was out this morning watering my tom plants, when I noticed a sucker on one of my 2ft tall plants. I went to remove the sucker and damaged the main stem! :cry: :x
It didn't completely snap, maybe 1/3. I put a stake in to keep it in good contact and wrapped it with some of the velcro tomato tape I use. I was wondering what else I could do and if there is any miracle method? It's the second time I have done this, it pays to get the suckers when they are very young. I was going to douse the area in the compost tea that I spray on the foilage once a week??

lorax
Greener Thumb

It should be fine - I had something like this happen during a windstorm. The main stems of a couple of my 'Strawberry' tomatoes snapped almost completely. I tied them back up with tomato twine and prayed, and not only did they recover, they came back stronger (albeit at kind of a weird angle for one of them).

Compost tea is a good idea, as is Seaweed emulsion. Other than that? Providing they don't get damaged severely again in the next couple of weeks, they'll be fine.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”