gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

So has anyone started any tomatoes yet?

I have been out of it for a while.

I remember this time last year had started a single plant at least and I believe some others had some growing. It is is hard to think about gardening right now, sort of. with the snow and single digit temps. :D

But hey you never know, right.

Dono

lorax
Greener Thumb

Started? Heck, I've got a fruiting crop of Romas in the ground and a bunch of specialty sandwich-types flowering!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

lorax wrote:Started? Heck, I've got a fruiting crop of Romas in the ground and a bunch of specialty sandwich-types flowering!
Alright your not allowed to play anymore. :P :P :lol:

lorax
Greener Thumb

Aww, don't be like that, Dono! I thought you were trying to get motivated - so here's one. :-()

I've got a couple of varieties in seeds just planted in yesterday - try and beat me to sprouts! I see absolutely no reason that tomatoes can't be grown in nice big pots as houseplants.... (Used to do it all the time) :twisted:

applestar
Mod

I have a tiny volunteer tomato with a pair of true leaves that popped up in the same 2 in pot as a radicchio. I've separated them now and it's under the lights and heat mat with the pepper, lemon verbena and pineapple sage cuttings as well as a white sweet potato that is growing roots in a soda cup.

A mystery tom to grow out again! How fun is that!? :wink:

Other plants under the same lights (not on the mat) are a couple of lettuces, a 4" square pot of yellow Spanish onions (seeded 1/5, just starting to push out of the ground) and something like 4 Red Wethersfield onions that were seeded about a month ago which I've been trimming down to 4" as soon as they get close to the T-5 lights. 8)

What can I say, I couldn't wait. Main seed starting won't begin until Feb. though I'm thinking of sowing some more onions. :roll:

p.s. I love hearing about Lorax's garden! Helps me imagine the warm sunshine and green breeze despite the snow outside. :D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I was looking to get my seeds started this week but I got a call to come help my father-in-law that just got out of the hospital from a bout with pneumonia.

He's 84 and it really kicked his butt this time around. Soooo, I'm at his house, 170 miles from mine at the moment just about suffering from heat stroke since he keeps the heat close to 75 in the winter. Hopefully, he'll recover enough in a week or so to where his lady companion can care for him without any assistance. I'm here mostly for the strong back to help since he is not too ambulatory right now.

I left the harvesting things to the wife while I'm gone------she can't possibly eat it all so the neighbors will be thankful this grazer isn't home.

Besides, his sister, age 81, just brought us some turnip greens she grows in her garden, so I'm not suffering too much.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

So, does finding your tomato seeds, and putting them into your garden planner count?

I know not real tomatoes, but the seeds are real...
I look them over, get them into database, and then put the plants in my make believe online garden... so does that count? :lol:

Check your seeds closely, now while you can re-order. I found worms in mine, they were meal worms. I got it in time, and many were not harmed, but the grains really had issues with these critters. Now the grains have diatomaceous earth in with them.

It is good to check over all your seeds now though, so when you are ready, your seeds haven't been eaten up already!

DeborahL
Green Thumb

That was funny, Gixx ! :lol:

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I won't officially start sowing the seeds for my tomato transplants until March and April. I'm going to put a few tomato plants out in the garden "early" (in April). But, this year, I will wait to transplant the bulk of my tomato crop in May.
I transplanted a lot of tomatoes and peppers "early" last year, and I spent more time than I wanted to, covering the plants on nights when frost was threatening.

I have 2 heirloom tomato plants that have been sitting in the house all winter. I rooted cutings (1 each) from Green Zebra and Tennessee tomato plants, right before I cleared the tomatoes out of the garden in the Fall.
I'm curious to see how those plants respond when I am able to "set them free" in the garden.

Garf
Green Thumb

I am in Miami, almost as far south as you can get. I need to know the best seed starting dates for a summer tomato crop here. I have some heat tolerant varieties, so I'm hoping for the best.

Lunacy
Cool Member

I've got all my maters in trays with about half at the two leaf stage. I have lettuce and broccoli in the ground but only the broccoli has peaked out of the ground.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I figured Applestar would have it going on. That';s who got me to go way to early last year. Ha ha. :lol: I might get a few early's going soon but the majority will wait till later. At least for tomatoes I will probably get some spinach and burssle sprouts like stuff going in the not too distant future if I can get off my lazy butt and get things together.

hardland

Garf wrote:I am in Miami, almost as far south as you can get. I need to know the best seed starting dates for a summer tomato crop here. I have some heat tolerant varieties, so I'm hoping for the best.
I would say right around now is a good time to start seeds, Mid Jan. I'm in Ft Ld, FL and last year the heat/humidity by May 30 was too much for my toms. I have some in the ground now at different stages that should be harvesting over the next 2-9 weeks. In my experience, it takes me 45 days to get a seedling ready for the ground, then approx 80 days to get fruit, that takes you to May 15, from around now.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I'll be starting a handfull of early variety plants in the next couple of weeks for container growing. They can be put outside on warm days from late March onward, and should give me some fresh tomatoes throughout June and July.

margez

I am getting ready to winter sow some tomato seed. I have received some varieties that will do well here in AZ in trade. Winter sowing is all the rage on the idig forum. This old dog is going to have to learn a lot of new tricks; I haven't gardened since I left Kansas many years ago. I am using all raised boxes and am planning to plant things I've never even eaten. This will be a year of discovery in many ways.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Alright I need to go through my seeds today and get something going soon if not just for container plants.

I did look through the catalogs yesterday. I will no be ordering much I still have a lot of seed. And we are even more broke than this time last year. The new pup isn't helping with big medical bills. But I will manage one way or another I always do.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Gixx, Did you get my PM re seeds...sent a while back?

DeborahL
Green Thumb

New pup?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”