JanetO
Newly Registered

Roma Tomatoes Not Sweet

:cry: Hello everyone! This is the first year that I planted Roma tomatoes. I have a beautiful crop. Unfortunately they are not very sweet. I have picked a few that are very red and have a little "give" to them when I squeeze them, but they just don't taste sweet. Should I pick them and just let them in the basket in my kitchen until I think they are totally wipe or are they lacking something which would make them sweet. We have had a nice hot summer. I would like to make some sauce out of them but I'm afraid that it won't turn out good. Any suggestions from anyone? :roll:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I would leave them on the vine such that more sugars can be deposited into the tomatoe fruit. Also, try pruning the branches so that more sunlight reaches them and the citric acid molecules can be changed into sugars.

Anonymous

Have you taken into consideration the type of compost in your garden? This is the basis of all plant life. I use a type of organic composting which creates a colloidal humus compost. It is actually the easiest type of composting that I have found as well as the most successful. It creates the most delicious vegetables that I have ever grown.

<snip>
Please read this:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2739
;)
</snip>

Best of luck and Happy Gardening!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, if you are using synthetic fertilizer, the addition of only NP and K will have an effect on the flavour. A well rounded compost and kelp meal will give your plants everything that they need and you will find they tomatoes will have better flavour.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”